Conservation Congress in proposed budget at risk ??

3/15/15 @ 4:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01
I was told by a friend in Madison that the original draft of the state budget called for the Wisconsin Conservation Congress to be disbanded. So I called my state representatives in Madison. They knew nothing about the budget changes until the budget became public. I then called the Governors office. They would not offer any minutes from budget meetings of any kind. They suggested I file a freedom of information request. Which I did. The current issue of Wisconsin Outdoor News reports that Tom Tiffany is behind the changes to the DNR in the state budget. So I contacted him via facebook. He told me that "Gov. Walked drafted the proposed budget. Not me." At this point I was a little confused. The DNR staff had no idea of the changes proposed in the new budget. They were not consulted about the changes. Despite the open records laws in Wisconsin, no open records are available about who added the drastic changes to the DNR in the budget. Who in Madison wants to disband the Wisconsin Conservation Congress ?? Who stopped it from being in the budget ? Why are there no open records of budget meetings???
Edited on 3/20/15 11:29 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 96 Posts
3/20/15 @ 12:10 PM
Bozo
Bozo
USER since 7/29/02
Cold Front don't get me going on Usfs. We couldn't get a straight answer from them on what was going on with the Sylvainia area. They have issues and dealing with them is "goat rodeo".

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 12:06 PM
Bozo
Bozo
USER since 7/29/02
or as in Enorma Rotundabutt

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 11:55 AM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07
but, as in Bertha Butt, on of the Butt sisters......sorry couldn't resist

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 11:44 AM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
but, but I thought we had a surplus. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 11:27 AM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01
I just heard back from Governor Walkers office. They do not make minutes of budget meetings. They had no other info to share with me.

So much for open records laws. They must not apply to budget meetings in the governor's office.

Who in Madison wants to disband the Conservation Congress ?? Why was it saved from the published budget ?? who decided to keep it ??

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 10:25 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I am in no hurry to allow the state or any govt body to control any more property than we have now. Just look at how they are mismanaging the National Forests in our own state right now. Better to expend the effort and angst about more purchases towards better management of what we have already. If we were allowed to manage the national forests for better timber production, we wouldn't need anymore public land. The habitat for deer and a great many species would improve dramatically. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 10:15 AM
Bozo
Bozo
USER since 7/29/02
cold front raised a larger issue,that being should other people pay taxes so I a place to hunt? The answer is yes. And they already do? All I need to do is look at my Wi gazetteer and see all the public hunting parcels. However it is a lot more than that. Should people pay taxes for the state fairgrounds? They do,and there is year round police force there because it is state land.

The question becomes how much is too much? And that is to be determined. What is in the public interest? This program is about much more than hunting and fishing. It is about protecting wildlife and general recreation for the public. The parcels of land range from a few aceres to ten of thousands. And the uses are varied. And the land isn't all state owned,the feds own the two national forests here. And they are multiple use and that includes logging. Cold front is correct when he mentions that a lot of land is taken off the tax roles. However it can generate income through tourism or timber sales. If you read what gathering waters and other orgs have to say it is worth it. I believe it is worth it. I would like to see it come to a vote.

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 9:34 AM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
trouter,

Check your pm.

Tim

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 9:14 AM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07
This is about the difference between a "want" and a "need" in my eyes.

Its about looking at the money available, and not unlike any community or any of us right now, we look at where can we make some cuts.

I do not for one second see this as a stab in the eye, or being vindictive, or anti natural resource. Its about pulling the reigns back, and I compliment anybody who attempts to this, rather than kickin' the can down the road. We all have seen where that has taken us at a national level.

The difference here is noticeable, and at least somebody is trying a different approach because what I have seen in the past, and currently at a national level sure as hell isn't working.

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 8:54 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
This opinion may not be popular but it is just as valid as any others. We all have our reason for wanting more public land but think about it. Should other people be compelled to pay taxes so I have a place to hunt? There is a lot of public land out there, already. I don't believe that it should be a priority to collect taxes so the state can take ownership of property that really should remain in the private domain. Once it becomes State owned, it is not generating any property taxes and any chance of the land contributing to economic growth is pretty much over. I didn't see anything in the state constitution that guarantees us a place to hunt and hike. True we need to preserve our environment but there are plenty of laws on the books that will take care of that. Finding and maybe owning/leasing a place is a matter of priorities. I know plenty of people with modest means that have been able to secure great hunting for themselves. They have worked and saved and put in the effort to achieve their goals. It can be done. The sky is not falling. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 96 Posts