Condiments. Specifically- Ketchup & Mustard

1/3/16 @ 6:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
Is ketchup on most any kind of sausage more of a Wisconsin thing? It seems any picnic, barbecue, tailgate party etc... there is always plenty of ketchup, but sometimes no mustard at all at some of these gatherings. I see this with my own extended family and with friends. I'm a mustard guy. Sometimes at theses events I think I'm the only one that uses mustard.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 35 Posts
1/8/16 @ 10:16 PM
Madgill
Madgill
MEMBER since 12/26/01
East Shore mustard is great, also like the Lakeshore mustards , honey hot is great, their horseradish is the best!

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 10:00 PM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
Learned this from my grandmother a dab of french dressing on cottage cheese, it is good.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 5:15 PM
Mike Nitro
Mike Nitro
USER since 4/3/14
Koops Arizona Heat- Hot Dogs and Brats = quality dining experience

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 5:08 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Big Fish'n, well said, LMAO!

cds, I try to limit the use of fermented fish sauce to my cereal, pancakes, and waffles, but hey, that's just me, to each, his own!

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 3:53 PM
jawjerker
jawjerker
USER since 1/14/02
Along with the Koops mustard I do put Heinz catchup on my burgers, fries, hot dogs and brats. But, not on a steak or eggs

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 2:36 PM
Big Fish'n
Big Fish'n
USER since 6/30/01
Who knew condiments would bring out such passion in people? I like how absolutely offended you guys get if someone DARES to use ketchup or put some sort of condiment on a steak in your presence.

“I will cut your head off and use your skull as a cereal bowl if you use that in front of me!”

As if the very presence of it offends you to the core. Strange....

That said, I prefer no condiments on my steaks, and only mustard on my dogs / brats etc...but I’m not going to go all Jeffrey Dhamer on your butt if you happen to put some ketchup on your bratwurst or steak in my presence lol.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 1:34 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I'm like Bruce Willis in "The Whole Nine Yards"......."I'm going to send this burger back, and if you put any mayonnaise on it I'm going to come to your house and chop off your legs, set your house on fire and watch you drag your bloody stumps out" Smile

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 1:30 PM
kingfish
kingfish
USER since 6/15/01
that red sauce seems to be a Midwest trait put on a lot of things. I grew up just outside NYC where mustard is king. worked as a short order cook one summer with this slogan on the shirts we wore. "a loaf of bread, a foot of meat and all the mustard and relish you can eat" at Tony's in Roxbury NJ. Best dogs I have ever had and unfortunately no available any more.

HAIL MUSTARD

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 11:11 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I disagree with boB's mushroom opinion. lol

Mushrooms can be put on the steak - or rather, the steak put on the mushrooms - when grilling them...While ON the grill... That way the mushrooms get coated in the steak's juices,ensuring that a VERY LIGHT salting stays on the mushrooms.

(edit) Whole button or baby portabella mushrooms. Then they are eaten as a side.

Pickle relish on steak? Was he from Illinois or something?

That just ain't right.

Ketchup is for dry overcooked burgers. A big fat greasy cheeseburger with grilled onions (and a proper bun) needs nothing else to make it palatable.

I remember reading an article on the origins of what we consider catsup. The word once had a far broader definition and included such things as fermented fish sauce.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 9:16 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
pickle relish... like it, but yeeesh

but to each his own I reckon, took a little heat for my comments, hahaha... so, disclaimer = my opinion

if you're looking for an easy stovetop/oven way to make steaks that turn out awesome ( imo ), try this technique... I adjusted times for different cuts, but have made more than just tenderloins

I use a cast iron skillet but any oven safe skillet would work, and I use safflower or olive oil

http://www.djfoodie.com/Beef-Tenderloin-Steak

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 35 Posts