Composting...who does it?

1/14/15 @ 6:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
Composting…..I actually enjoy doing it. I started a few years back with just some leaves; dead plants and other yard debris and now I compost everything I can get my hands on. I cold compost (just pile everything together and turn it from time to time) and it works out pretty well as long as you are not in a hurry. My first pile last fall yielded 70 cubic feet of nice black compost which I spread around the yard and dressed my trees with. I have a nice pile going right now that I am constantly adding kitchen scraps and coffee grounds to (we drink a lot of coffee at work and I bring the grounds home to the pile). I keep the pile covered in straw to try and retain some of the heat and keep the process going over the winter but it does not really matter to me. I really want to try my hand at hot composting this year if I can find a good source of cow or horse manure to get it started. Once you get into composting it gets addictive and is very rewarding when you turn green and brown items into nice rich, earthy smelling black gold for the garden. What are your experiences with composting and what are your secrets to getting the black gold?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
1/16/15 @ 8:25 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
It was finally warm enough to get out into the garage and cut up the card board shipping boxes from Christmas. I used the band saw and made quick work out of them and ended up with 3 large boxes of cut up card board for the heap. I am just going to set the boxes next to the pile and they will turn to mush pretty quickly with the melting snow this weekend. This is a great source for your browns.

I found a great way to turn my pile. I bought a Sears weedeater that takes multiple attachment and bought an MTD tiller attachment from Menards and man does that thing chew up the pile. SOOOOO much easy than turning it with a fork. I will post a video of it this spring.

I also made my own sifting screen that fits my garden wagon. I just place the screen over the wagon and put in the finished compost and sift away. Whatever does not fall thru the meshing is tossed back on the pile to finish composting. This also ensures that no rocks or metals make it into the compost. Nothing beats the smell of freshly sifted compost. Big Smile come on spring!

Edited on 1/16/15 8:27 AM
Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 3:30 PM
Twister
Twister
USER since 6/15/01
Lot of different ways to compost.

For years I just buried the kitchen garbage between the rows in the garden and the following year just moved all the rows into the composted area.

Now I have most of my garden in raised beds so I have a big compost pile that rarely gets turned.

I did get a truck load of wood chips and am saving all my big boxes and dumping the chips on the cardboard boxes between the rows. Keeps the weeds down between the rows and it has to help keep moisture in the ground.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 7:52 AM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
Good idea Sarge. I save large pieces of cardboard to put around my fruit trees. Keeps the weeds down for at least a year, maybe more depending on thickness/quality. If a guy covers the cardboard with a high quality landscape cloth like Lumite, the cardboard lasts a longgg time.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 6:34 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
I have gotten into composting my brown card board also. I save my boxes until I have enough to get the band saw out and then I cut them into small strips and throw them into the pile. A little water and they turn to mush and quickly compost. This is a little more work but it saves me from having to deal with the trash guy. It is amazing what you can compost.

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 8:18 AM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
I compost whatever I can get my hands on, set up my compost pile uphill (very few flat spots on my place) of my berry patch. Every time it rains the berries get a nice drink of compost tea Smile

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 8:17 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I throw all my yard waste in a pile and occasionally turn it. Once a year or so I take everything that hasn't broken down well,load it in the truck and trailer and dump it somewhere.

Remote boat launches,remote roadsides,hunting area access points,where-ever.

just kidding. I bring it to work and toss it in a truck with wood chips.

I keep whatever has turned into "dirt"

Also,once a year I get a trailer load of compost from a local municipality. It breaks down so much better when it's in a huge pile turned occasionally with a front end loader. That stuff looks like topsoil.

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 7:50 AM
Big-Fish-R
Big-Fish-R
USER since 4/9/08
Been doing it for about 10 years. Started with a plastic composting box, but didn't care for that as much. Have a fenced in area now to keep out critters. I mainly do it to reduce waste going to landfills and it also is good for finding some worms for fishing. You do get some good quality dirt from it, but you need a lot of composting material for it to add up to a significant amount.

Post Your Comment