Charter cable TV

6/28/14 @ 6:42 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
Charter cable TV customers, are you happy? I have always had their internet and home phone which I grade an "A". How about TV? I have DirecTV and the prices just keep going up, even though I have a contract, it doesn't matter. By bundling with Charter, I can save approx $80.00 per month for virtually the same programming. Even after promotions are over in 3 years, , I'd still be saving about $30 right now, and that's NOT taking in consideration any fees going up for DTV.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
7/3/14 @ 6:09 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
"Infrastructure and maintenance costs rule, and I think wireless will eventually win on that base. "

Maybe, but it won't be soon in my opinion.

Wireless is a long way from providing the stability of a hardwired connection. I'd rather see expansion of fiber personally.

Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 10:07 AM
lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
USER since 6/13/06
I am not a charter fan by any means, but I haven't gotten somebody in India when I have had to get a hold of customer service in years. This isn't meant to sound racist, but it was seriously so hard for me to understand what they were saying over the phone.

Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 7:44 AM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
Infrastructure and maintenance costs rule, and I think wireless will eventually win on that base.

Remember pagers? Think about how wireless technology has changed over the last 20 years.

I just want to see some viable competition.

Post Your Comment
7/2/14 @ 5:00 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
"You know, we are not far from having all TV and Internet content delivered via cell phone, or a large WiFi network. Charter is SO gone when that becomes feasible.....I can't wait to rip out the cables.....I will dance on their grave, LOL."

I doubt this, although as a guy paying $200/month to Charter I'd join you in the celebration.

I have Verizon, live within 15 miles of Madison, and I can barely make calls in my home. (let alone stream all our video, games, and internet)

And even if I had a solid 4G connection in my home, I'd go through my 4GB on the cell phone plan in a day.

Last, with the recent net neutrality ruling, I believe we're going to see the content streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, etc go up in cost as internet providers upcharge them for their huge bandwidth use.

Long story short- if your cell phone becomes your source of media, your cell phone provider will become your Charter.

As my dad told me all those years ago, "No such thing as a free lunch.".

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 2:20 PM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01
You know, we are not far from having all TV and Internet content delivered via cell phone, or a large WiFi network.

Charter is SO gone when that becomes feasible.....I can't wait to rip out the cables.....I will dance on their grave, LOL.

Their own fault for not reading the tea leaves.

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 10:37 AM
Gimper
Gimper
USER since 11/27/01
With the basic T.V. package and the fastest internet service thru Charter my monthly bill is around $75 with all of the taxes and stuff. I'm locked in for a year. After a year (I do this every year) I'll let it slide for a month or two and then call in and ask them to disconnect the T.V. as it doesn't fit into my budget (it really doesn't and if they didn't lower the price I'd truly 86 the T.V. package). They don't like to hear the word 'disconnect'. On top of that I am NEVER late with a bill and bring that up in the conversation. This usually gets me another year with a bill that doesn't make my heart skip a beat every time I go to pay one.

Post Your Comment
7/1/14 @ 5:58 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
iceman charter only gives you a low price when your a new customer. so we keep switching between charter and direct tv

Post Your Comment
6/30/14 @ 6:49 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
After a couple hours comparing the packages apples to apples, the savings isn't nearly what it looked like at first. It only comes down to about $15.00 per month. Not worth going through the change.

Thanks for all the input.

Post Your Comment
6/30/14 @ 3:04 PM
crappieguy
crappieguy
USER since 2/11/02
Rempump,

I believe they have a bare minimum TV package that is much cheaper but they don't advertise it. I asked them and it is next to nothing but your local channels and a couple more.

You can get a bare minimum Dish package for $14.99 for the first 6 months or a year then it goes up to $19.99, of course add tax.

Post Your Comment
6/30/14 @ 2:57 PM
Rempump
Rempump
USER since 5/8/03
I have the most basic digital TV package they offer and the basic internet package. Both are supposedly the cheapest they offer

With fees and taxes I pay 130 a month.

Anyone have charter and a cheaper monthly bill? I wonder if they tell my I have the cheapest package so I don't change packages on them. I have heard that the person on the phone gets penalized by charter by letting me get a cheaper package. Not sure if that is true.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts