Charitable Giving

1/27/16 @ 8:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I expect that many of us actively participate in charitable giving. Unfortunately, there are far too many cases in which the so-called charity organization's expenses percentage far exceed the program services percentage. The most recent example of wasteful spending by a charity is this report: Wounded Warrior Project reportedly accused of wasting donor money Time will tell whether these accusations of wasteful spending are indeed accurate, or whether they are simply the rants of an embittered former employee. "Two former of employees, who were so fearful of retaliation they asked that CBS News not show their faces on camera, said spending has skyrocketed since Steven Nardizzi took over as CEO in 2009, pointing to the 2014 annual meeting at a luxury resort in Colorado Springs. "He rappelled down the side of a building at one of the all hands events. He's come in on a Segway, he's come in on a horse,” one employee told CBS News." BTW, CEO Stephen Nardizzi is paid a base salary of $375K. Charity Watch and CharityNavigator.org give the WWP a low grade. What do you all think about this charity scandal? What charities do you support, and why?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
1/28/16 @ 7:13 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
I've given to St. Jude as well Bozo. I've never asked to see their books, but I do know that they never turn a child away due to their parent's inability to pay - and they do so much good.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 6:44 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Very good point nihsif. It ends up hurting charities. Greed is one of the biggest destroyers of anything good that happens. We need to build bigger prisons or buy an island like Australia to send the deadbeats.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 3:41 PM
big ken
big ken
MEMBER since 6/3/06
This is an interesting discussion. After 9/11, the Red Cross took a great deal of heat because not enough of the donations they received were going directly to those in need. Their answer was they were not only collecting for this disaster, but preparing for future disasters. I am not sure how this played out, but I believe their fundraising was hampered for some time.

One place, if you have the time or interest, is to look at the Non-Profits form 990. These are required to be filed yearly and provide a great deal of detail on some interesting elements like salaries of key people.

One place to look at this information is on the National Center for Charitable Statistics.

Here is their website nccsweb.urban.org

BK

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 10:02 AM
Bozo
Bozo
USER since 7/29/02
We get a lot of calls asking for money and some of them are scams. Most of the time the caller is getting a cut of the funds you give. I have dealt with some orginizations that were good charities but I wouldn't give them money because of their tactics. We only deal with a few charities because of all the bad ones out there. I do give to Tu and ST.Judes.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 8:50 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
the fear is, that stories like the WW one put people off on charitable donations, such that these charities donations dry up, and it ends up being funded by the federal gummint... now we're talking true larceny

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 8:47 AM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01
It is sad that good hearted and generous people are taken advantage of by some of these groups.

I always ask the person that calls from the firefighters or police associations what it is like to be a cop or a firefighter. More often than not, the person on the other line either hangs up or explains timidly that they are "working on behalf of" those organizations.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 8:41 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
heard the the story about WW is being investigated

waiting for "second opinion"

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 6:26 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
It's just like our Government spending other people's money. They don't care enough to do it properly.

Post Your Comment
1/28/16 @ 6:24 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I was listening on the radio two days ago about wounded warrior project. It was said that 60% of the money goes to the Warriors. That's not enough. It made me sick about the big conventions and parties on the Donators dime!!!!!!! It's sick and they need too clean house.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts