MORE
General Discussion

Bullheads

11/15/18 @ 7:57 PM
INITIAL POST
ttime
ttime
User since 4/4/06

When do Bullheads stop biting?  Had a great spot to catch one every cast now with the skim ice there they are gone so assuming they are done biting in such a spot that is very shallow and no mud to bury themselves in like everyone says they do, I see massive Cats caught ice fishing on Madison so.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
9/6/19 @ 10:19 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I remember the lanterns along the railroad tracks along the Mississippi river as a boy they lit the whole side of the river up when the run was on. Yellow bellied is what we got from the river. Yum, can still taste them. 

9/6/19 @ 8:21 AM
ttime
ttime
User since 4/4/06

How big do Bullheads get?  Seen on google searches they can be over 22".  Black Bullhead being the largest or so they have said, every time I get a Brown its 15" or biggest was over the state record in length but not with at 18"  I thought that was a trophy, thought trophy yellow would be 15" and black probably near the same 12-14".  But according to google them are just babies, trophy is over 20".  Any comments on that?  Anyone else think the Brown Bullheads taste horrible compared to the others?   They taste horrible like Brown Trout, I don't like the taste of Brown Trout in greater lakes, and have gotten barely legal 15" ones.  I guess they have to be smoked.  I will release them.

7/7/19 @ 12:52 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02
I remember fishing with my whole family (7 of us), on Fox Lake. My mom loved bullheads fried with the bones. We also used to catch a bunch outside of Ashipun on a little bay. I would like to find a spot. To fry some up for my mom! My poor dad used to clean over 50 pretty much by himself! Big Mac
7/6/19 @ 9:03 PM
ttime
ttime
User since 4/4/06

What is up with the 1st Bullhead with the black spots, I know its a male and the 2nd is a female the were a pair on a bed, bedding in July what a crazy year, took home to put in my friends pond, will they finish spawning now?  by making a new bed, the female was full.  Browns are massive compared to the Yellow and Blacks.  Never got one under 14".  That monster in the final pic was put on the wall, half inch of state record at 17"

Bullheads photo by ttime
11/16/18 @ 9:18 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Want “bullies”?   Delevan or Powers is the place to go. Grandpa and dad used to take me there. I could unhook a bullhead without being stung” when I was around 8.    Love them fried r smoked       CARPIO 

11/16/18 @ 9:14 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Dont know if a guy could target them but they are active in the winter for sure. Back when I still ice fished, and like 4 days a week, I used to get a bunch every year on one lake I fished on tip ups. We would line a shallow bay with tip ups early ice for pike. It seemed like every morning or evening while it was still dark we would pop a flag and it would be a bullhead. One winter I swear we would almost get one every time on that lake if we had boards in while it was dark. Amazing the size shiners they would hit.
11/16/18 @ 6:09 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I catch them at first and last ice on tip ups, but very rarely in midwinter. As bass abductor once said, "A face only a momma bullhead could love"

11/15/18 @ 8:13 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I catch them in the winter occasionally on tip-ups and jigging, but never targeted them. 

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE