Bug Spray for Black flies

6/19/14 @ 5:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
So it is well documented that Deet works for Mosquitos, Permathane works for Ticks, Pure Vanilla Extract for no see ums. I have also read that a product called "No Stinkin Bugs" works for black flys. Does anyone know if this is true as the contents of the can from what I can see is Deet. On another note during my travels for work I stopped at (Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's, Gander Moutain, Fleet Farm, and Wallmart) and nobody carried it. I could order it off of amazon but if it doesn't work or if it is basically just Deet I can get that locally. Does anyone have specific experience with using the product called "No Stinking Bugs" for black flies that you could share? Thanks and Have a good day. Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
6/20/14 @ 6:35 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
I looked up the No Stinkin Bugs because I'm up in Eagle River, WI now and have been bitten by black flies while here.

The active ingredient of No Stinkin Bugs is permethrin, which from what I could find, should NOT be applied to skin. (you spray it on clothes, tents, back packs, etc and let it dry)

The flies biting me are only landing on bare skin, a double coat of Repel "sort of" works. (seems to lessen, but not eliminate them)

Edited on 6/20/14 6:36 AM
Post Your Comment
6/19/14 @ 9:54 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
In regards to No Stinkin' Bugs, that's actually a hunting spray that they claim is scent free. I bought it at Fleet Farm once but it was in the hunting section by all the other scents and stuff. I didn't think it was scent free so I never used it for hunting. I don't think its any different than a regular bug spray, the scent free claim was the thing that made it different.

Edited on 6/19/14 10:09 AM
Post Your Comment