BUCKET LIST - What have you crossed off - Do you have one - What's on it

6/16/14 @ 3:16 PM
ORIGINAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03
I've been scuba diving in Bermuda. Just an awesome experience. I'd recommend moving that up on the list. And do it while on vacation in the Carribean or somewhere where the water is warm and crystal clear. I actually got to swim under a coral reef. Back in the sand, looking straight up 40 feet to the surface through coral. Will. Never. Forget. That. To scuba dive, you usually need to be certified. Where I was, certified me in a 2 hour course right there on the beach. That allowed me a 25 minute dive with an instructor at my side. I can't remember exactly how much it is, but it wasn't all that expensive, $150-$200 or so and well worth the money.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 95 Posts
7/2/18 @ 2:05 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER since 12/9/08
When I was in HS/early college years my bucket list was pretty simple. I wanted to catch a 25 lb musky and a 30" walleye in Vilas Cty, kill a trophy whitetail, learn how to trick waterski, successfully deep water slalom start on a canoe paddle (no binding), and climb the steep frontside of Musky Mountain in Sayner (not via the road) with my dirtbike.  The skiing goals were accomplished while I was in HS. By the end of college I had caught several large muskies and a large walleye.  A few decades later I have caught over 100 muskies in WI in the 25lb "class" (mid 40") or larger (including several over 50") and 5 walleyes over 30" in Vilas (11 in my boat including the ones my friends have caught).  I did kill a trophy whitetail and was blessed to have it mounted by the great Jody Green (renowned whitetail taxidermist and form sculptor from southern IL).  I never was able to climb the frontside of Musky Mountain with my HS dirtbike (not enough power and would get buried before I could make it all the way to the top).

After I got married, started my career, and had kids, the bucket list (goal) items changed.  In general they became things like....save enough money for our 3 kids to go to college, take trip to Hawaii with my wife, schedule several memorable family vacation trips to warmer locales (FL, SC, CA, Aruba), teach all of my kids how to slalom waterski, get my son into duck hunting (and kill several of the sought after birds in WI like canvasbacks and redheads), and catch his first big musky (he caught/released a WI 51" x 23.25" casting last year).

In regard to travel, my job has taken me all over Europe (England, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Spain, France, Belgium, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy) and Japan.  It is a memorable experience driving the autobahn in Germany or riding the bullet trains in Japan (190 mph). Volunteer Mission trips have taken my immediate family members to Costa Rica, Guatemala, Jamaica, South Africa, and Zambia. 

Post Your Comment
7/2/18 @ 12:18 PM
Bowhunting Guy
Bowhunting Guy
USER since 5/22/18

Great thread.

I’ve successfully hunted wild hogs in Texas, antelope in Wyoming, black bear in New Brunswick, ducks in North Dakota, fly-in fishing trip to Canada, caught stripers in Maine, red fish in the gulf, and have killed numerous deer and caught numerous fish all over the mid west. Have checked off 33 states. Been to some pretty cool places with my wife. Trips up the east coast and all over the south have been memorable.

Still to go? As long as God blesses me with longevity and the resources, elk, moose, caribou, javelina, and a South Africa trip intrigue me. On the domestic side,  I would love to go to Ireland and Alaska with my wife. Possibly Western Europe, as I’d love to see Normandy. At 30 years old now I hope all of these will be in the cards some day.

Of everywhere I have been, nowhere in the world brings me the peace and tranquility of being at my cabin in the north woods. 

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 10:04 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Unforseen family issues and a desire to be financially secure  are mostly complete.  Unfortunately the body  has not held up enough for any real strenuous adventure. 

Had the opportunity to hike near Mount Everest about 10 - 12 years ago with a former Professor,  but the aforementioned issues squashed that .  I have hunted Montana 3 times and bear in Wisconsin.  Do still want to see Western Europe.  That may happen yet . 

Wife has a niece in Australia also . May do that .

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 9:50 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Want to attend the Formula 1 race at Spa-Francorchamps. Visit Australia,  Alaska, and Macchu Picchu.

Tim 

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 9:49 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Ive put a number of desires on my bucket list and by the time I am able to afford it I dont care anymore, it gets replaced by something else. Funny how that works.

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 9:47 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

Local National Guard post would bring a Howitzer to the UWSP football games.  They would fire off a blank after every touchdown and at end of game.  We did the sports coverage for the games and walked over to talk to the Guardsmen.  They let me set it off after the next score.  That was Awesome!

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 9:38 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

Brought a small container of black powder and a roll of duct tape to Boy Scout camp.  A few of us worked together to make a baseball sized ball of “fun”.  After “taps” we snuck over to the living quarters of a jerk of a counselor.  We stuffed the ball of fun into a little toy bird, set it just outside his cabin, and lit the delayed fuse which gave us about 30-45 seconds to run for it.  Kablooey!  Pretty sure the whole camp heard it, even the folks camping across the lake.  Good times.     Wasn’t very friendly, courteous, or kind, but it was at least a little thrifty.  

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 9:30 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12

"LEAN, Six Sigma, Kaison... "

Thanks for that. Reminding of these 3 things will now give me nightmares tonight.....

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 9:27 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
USER since 12/19/14

Boys will be boys....apparently that will get you in trouble nowadays. Lol

Post Your Comment
7/1/18 @ 8:59 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Built some fun stuff out of black powder and duct tape.

That, good sir, wins quote of the day-week-month-year -etc.....

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 95 Posts