Birds

6/4/05 @ 6:53 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
If you like watching birds or have any comments about a cool bird in your yard or something, this would be a good place to discuss anything to do with birds.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 3,258 Posts
1/7/19 @ 3:52 AM
annaschmitz
annaschmitz
USER since 1/7/19

That would be so cool to see.

Edited on 1/7/19 3:54 AM
Post Your Comment
1/6/19 @ 10:11 PM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01

Same for us. 20 feeders in summer with different feed. Winter, strictly sunflower and several berry diets. Cut down to 8 feeders in winter, but we keep filled religiously. Flying Squirrels love the suets in backyard. Several close up pictures (8-10") away with wife and fliers. 

Post Your Comment
1/6/19 @ 9:47 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

Thanks boys!

Post Your Comment
1/6/19 @ 9:38 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

Straight black sunflowers in one (tube feeder), and the standard Havegard stuff with more black sunflower mixed in the bigger feeder.

If I had to just pick one thing for the winter it would be straight black sunflowers (I like cardinals the best), but the Havagard stuff is cheap and has a lot of corn mixed in for squirrels/rabbits etc... on the ground.

I stopped buying that same finch mix, too much milo. Better off doing straight nyjer seed for finches, but that’s more of a summer thing.

Edited on 1/6/19 9:42 PM
Post Your Comment
1/6/19 @ 9:32 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Iceman I usually just get sunflower seeds menards or big r on sale 12 bucks for around 50 lbs. Sometimes I mix in some of the regular seed mix with it. Squirrels are usually on ground clean up and they give my mutts exercise hahaha. 

Post Your Comment
1/6/19 @ 8:59 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

What do you guys buy for a good seed mix? For the birds, Ive been using Kaytee Wild Finch. This time of year, I seem to be getting just doves, sparrows or wrens, and those little junkos. Once in a while I was getting the cheap stuff at Woodmans, but birds weren't interested.  Is there something that might get more birds? 

We have one feeder, about 10 feet from the 2 bird feeders,  that we keep full with sunflower so the squirrels stay away from the bird feeders. If they stray over to the bird feeders I have a way to discourage them. 

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 6:33 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
MEMBER since 4/5/08

Jawjerker and Pool8, you wanna hear a really cool owl sound. The barred (sp) owl is out a sight!!! It is the one that "birders" describe as..."who who who cooks for you" "who cooks for you". Fortunately, we have a mess of them around and often they do talk to each other.

Post Your Comment
1/1/19 @ 7:55 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

We had a great horned in our yard a couple of summers ago it was injured. I put a towel over it and put it in a dog crate. The game warden came and took it to Lake Geneva to a rehab . I think they released it behind our house . Really cool when you hear them. We hear them early in the mourning and I believe they're what takes out the rabbits in my yard at night. 

Post Your Comment
1/1/19 @ 7:40 PM
the ace
the ace
USER since 4/20/14

JJ,

My wife works for a wildlife rehab facility and said the owls are hooting now because they are mating.

Post Your Comment
1/1/19 @ 7:37 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

That would be cool to see!

The birds really went nuts yesterday before the snow storm and again today, cardinals, bluejays, juncos and chickadees were just hammering nonstop. The fresh snow made for a pretty backdrop, I really like feeding birds this time of year.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 3,258 Posts