Attic temperature

3/13/15 @ 2:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
Last fall I had an addition put on my prefab house. I now have an attic. I know I have enough insulation as the attic temperature stayed below freezing all winter. Now that I has hit 60 for a few days, I see the temp. at 130. I use a indoor/outdoor temperature sensor to do this. Has anyone ever checked their attic temp.? Anyone ever hear what is to hot and a vent fan is needed? I did an internet search and it was hard to tell if a roofer or vent fan person was advising you. lund
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
3/13/15 @ 9:24 PM
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
Short Fat Bald Sexy Guy
USER since 6/27/08
Asphalt shingles will wear out more quickly if a roof is not properly ventilated. It will cost you if you don't get the roof properly ventilated.

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 8:55 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
130...guessing you have dark shingles? Like mentioned, a ridge vent is the way to go if you have a vented soffit. Regular roof vents are kind of a pain to put in an already roofed house, though not impossible. Gable vents are another possible option.

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 8:11 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
Yeah, you need to make sure you have both adequate soffit ventilation and roof venting. There are three ways for the last part. Roof vents, which are least efficient. An attic fan, which works but drones on all night in the summer or ridge venting. The temps you mentioned are way too high for March.

Ridge venting is pretty easy to add to a roof.

Make sure if you do have ventilated soffit (which you need) that the insulation is not blocking the venting.

Tim

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 4:23 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
130 in this mildweather seems way to hot. Use another thrmometr and see if that makes a difference. Do you have any roof ventilation?? You should have roof vents to prevent this buildup of heat.

Post Your Comment
3/13/15 @ 3:05 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
temp should be close to the outside temp. a soffit under the eve and either a ridge cap on roof or some kind of vent on the roof to keep air circulating.

Post Your Comment