Ask an Electrician

1/5/13 @ 3:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
Our 10 y/o Jenn-Air range has a rocker switch; left is for the fan, right is for the oven light. That switch recently failed and I am unable to find a new one. Jenn-Air doesn't make them anymore and nobody has them. The switch has 4 posts. 1- black wire (hot?), 1-white wire (neu?) and 2 connected brown wires and 2 connected blue wires, I assume the brown & blue are the fan and the light. The only switch that is available (or that I could find) is just an on/off rocker switch, THAT ONLY HAS 2 POSTS. I don't need the oven light. My question is, how do I connect the wires so I at least have an exhaust fan? I know I need the hot & neutral, but where do I connect the fan wire (once I figure out which one is the fan wire!)?
Edited on 1/5/13 3:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 71 Posts
12/1/17 @ 3:36 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Thanks guys.  With all of it being kind of "non-standard" I didn't know if I would get a licensed electrician to even want to touch it.  I guess I have to ask first!  I'll start out next spring by getting someone to look at it.  Ideally, I would be able to install a wireless remote to the existing winch.  I'm not fond of the current "cable control" and spring switch it uses now.  Thanks!

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 3:13 PM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01

The transformer puts out 12V AC, not DC.  You would need to add a rectifier and filter.  Plus, if you note, the winch is rated over 3000W peak, and if you price the 5kVA control transformer you would need, it costs more than the winch.

A good electrician could figure out your issue for a lot less.  If the motor has power but is not turning, you probably lost a starting capacitor, will cost you $20 to fix.  Plus the Electrician's time, of course.

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 3:12 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Not sure where your setup would be but they do make 120 volt winches and you can avoid the transformer mite be simpler and less expensive just a thought

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 3:06 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

"I'm having is that all the winches with these capabilities are 12V.  So, my question is, would something like in the below link work for my application if I got a simple 110V to 12V transformer?"

Yes, it should with a step down transformer. I made a ramp to take an old Lund Guide 315 out for winter and used a 12V 5000lb boat winch to haul it up the ramp.

You have to make sure the amperage/wattage of the step down is compatible for the amperage/wattage of the motor in the winch. 

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 2:24 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Questions for any electrician out there.  

Here is the deal, I have a lake property that has a steep grade down to the lake.  When I purchased it, there was already a pretty cool "lift" installed with a cart that goes up and down a track to to lake.  I wish I had a picture handy, but I don't.  The mechanicals of it were all installed 40ish years ago and consists of a very large 110v electric winch.  The way it is controlled seems very complex, it is essentially on a "spring switch" that is controlled by a metal clothes line that runs along the cart path.  You pull and hold the cable for a moment and let go and the winch starts to go down.  Pull again, it stops.  Pull again it goes back up.  Long story short, something has failed and it no longer works.  It is getting power, but won't budge.  I don't think I'm going to be able to get anyone to fix it, as this isn't exactly standard stuff.  

When looking for a way to simplify, I keep running across winches with wireless remotes.  I think this is the way to go, as you can simply control the up and down directly from the cart.  The issue I'm having is that all the winches with these capabilities are 12V.  So, my question is, would something like in the below link work for my application if I got a simple 110V to 12V transformer?

Electric Winch

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 7:49 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Could be a coincidence try what the other's suggested if that doesn't work replace them it's not that difficult 

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 7:38 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Just put in a new one there cheap.

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 7:32 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

If that doesnt work then use compressed air or a hair dryer. Pull the electric cover off and then dry it out.

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 7:02 PM
Skunky
Skunky
USER since 3/15/14

Let it dry for a day or so. An try again.  

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 5:54 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03

Understanding that I know NOTHING about electricity and avoid all related work with it...wife sprayed ant spray around kitchen GFI outlet where some ants were crawling. Tripped breaker, won't reset, neither GFI outlet nor breaker.  Breaker goes right back to middle setting.   Now what to do? 

Edited on 4/8/17 5:56 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 71 Posts