Ask an Electrician

1/5/13 @ 4:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
Our 10 y/o Jenn-Air range has a rocker switch; left is for the fan, right is for the oven light. That switch recently failed and I am unable to find a new one. Jenn-Air doesn't make them anymore and nobody has them. The switch has 4 posts. 1- black wire (hot?), 1-white wire (neu?) and 2 connected brown wires and 2 connected blue wires, I assume the brown & blue are the fan and the light. The only switch that is available (or that I could find) is just an on/off rocker switch, THAT ONLY HAS 2 POSTS. I don't need the oven light. My question is, how do I connect the wires so I at least have an exhaust fan? I know I need the hot & neutral, but where do I connect the fan wire (once I figure out which one is the fan wire!)?
Edited on 1/5/13 4:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 66 Posts
4/8/17 @ 8:49 PM
Pool8
Pool8
USER since 1/27/17

Could be a coincidence try what the other's suggested if that doesn't work replace them it's not that difficult 

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 8:38 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

Just put in a new one there cheap.

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 8:32 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

If that doesnt work then use compressed air or a hair dryer. Pull the electric cover off and then dry it out.

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 8:02 PM
Skunky
Skunky
USER since 3/15/14

Let it dry for a day or so. An try again.  

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 6:54 PM
stuckinMO
stuckinMO
USER since 7/24/03

Understanding that I know NOTHING about electricity and avoid all related work with it...wife sprayed ant spray around kitchen GFI outlet where some ants were crawling. Tripped breaker, won't reset, neither GFI outlet nor breaker.  Breaker goes right back to middle setting.   Now what to do? 

Edited on 4/8/17 6:56 PM
Post Your Comment
8/1/15 @ 10:29 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
USER since 12/5/07
I've seen this before, check every GFI. There's a chance that that circuit is feed off another GFI protected circuit. Like if you have 2 bathrooms with GFI outlets and all of a sudden there's no power in one. It's protected via the other bathroom. I have 2 baths up stairs, all are GFI protected. If the GFI in one bath gets bumped by the kids, the other bath room goes dead. Same for my outside outlets. All are GFI protected but are feed first from the GFI in my garage. If the test button gets bumped nothing works. I'd start looking at every GFI in the house. I've seen kitchens wired into bath GFI's. Not all GFI's tripped show red, some get tripped and show white. Had that happen at a apartment and the resident called her son who was an electrician and he couldn't figured it out. I came over and pushed the button!! If you've checked all the GFI's then it's probably just a bad breaker. Under $15 and easy to replace. Just shut off the main before you do it.

Post Your Comment
8/1/15 @ 6:45 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
I am far from knowing much about electrical things but that to me, is a warning that there is a short somewhere. I be paying the $$$ to get someone there ASAP.

Tim

Post Your Comment
8/1/15 @ 4:06 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
I can't say I did anything, but everything is working. Worried My wife walked into the bedroom after showering in another bathroom...."Dear, ummm, come here the fan is on". The lights work, the exhaust fan works, the GFCI is on and the ceiling fan is on.

What the frick? It all went on by it's self. Now any answers?

Post Your Comment
8/1/15 @ 1:59 PM
RichManitoba
RichManitoba
USER since 5/22/15
Oh yeah, Phat, I thought you meant something else. I've done all that this morning. I've installed new switches over he years; the panel is listed, so I 'm set there.

I've got a line tester and an outlet tester and nothing is lighting the "lamp".

I've got an elec. coming over Monday late afternoon. The few I called never returned calls, so I bet they're out fishing!! I can wait until Monday, just so there's not a fire!!

Thanks for the help, fellas!

Edited on 8/1/15 1:59 PM
Post Your Comment
8/1/15 @ 1:13 PM
Fishscales
Fishscales
USER since 3/2/03
Also if you don't have one i would get one of those line tester.(it looks like a pen and beeps when the wire is live) And check the wires going out the breaker and then the wires to the ceiling fan and so on. Hopefully you can narrow it down. Also wires do move around at times,so something might have touched. I had a one of those power strips with a small electric heater and i must of overloaded the strip and then the power went off in that room. And i checked the power strip and it was fine. After hunting down the problem i found an outlet with wires burned about 3 inches and fixed it. Good luck

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 66 Posts