Ask an Electrician

1/5/13 @ 3:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07
Our 10 y/o Jenn-Air range has a rocker switch; left is for the fan, right is for the oven light. That switch recently failed and I am unable to find a new one. Jenn-Air doesn't make them anymore and nobody has them. The switch has 4 posts. 1- black wire (hot?), 1-white wire (neu?) and 2 connected brown wires and 2 connected blue wires, I assume the brown & blue are the fan and the light. The only switch that is available (or that I could find) is just an on/off rocker switch, THAT ONLY HAS 2 POSTS. I don't need the oven light. My question is, how do I connect the wires so I at least have an exhaust fan? I know I need the hot & neutral, but where do I connect the fan wire (once I figure out which one is the fan wire!)?
Edited on 1/5/13 3:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 79 Posts
3/11/18 @ 7:09 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER since 2/8/06

First off let me state  that there are no light fixtures that are non LED compatible. An LED lightbulb will fit in any and all normal light sockets. The only difference in LED bulbs is if they are made dimmable or not.

As far as your problem with one socket burning out bulbs is due to a heat issue. The heat issue can be caused by loose connections or worn parts that don’t fit correctly. most sockets can be replaced with parts from a quality hardware store. Just make sure that when you do any repairs that you tighten and fit all parts so this problem is everted in the future.

good luck 

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 9:47 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Tim T , thanks . No dimmer on it . Probably just an old , cheap fixture  .

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 9:36 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Why do good things happen to bad People? Maybe this isn't the place for that.

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 9:32 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

Fixture is bad. Time to replace. 

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 8:22 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

One shot,

Your older fixture likely is not LED compliant.  No way should an LED bulb burn out that fast. Also, you need to have an LED compatible dimmer or they'll just flicker. 

Tim 

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 11:30 AM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01

Welcome back Charles!

Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 10:20 AM
Post Your Comment
3/7/18 @ 10:04 AM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I have an older light fixture in the kitchen that always seems to burn out the same light bulb out of 3 . Last one was an led , did not last 6 months . 

Plus can you just trash those bulbs unlike fluorescents  ? 

Thanks 

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 3:36 PM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Thanks guys.  With all of it being kind of "non-standard" I didn't know if I would get a licensed electrician to even want to touch it.  I guess I have to ask first!  I'll start out next spring by getting someone to look at it.  Ideally, I would be able to install a wireless remote to the existing winch.  I'm not fond of the current "cable control" and spring switch it uses now.  Thanks!

Post Your Comment
12/1/17 @ 3:13 PM
mendota
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01

The transformer puts out 12V AC, not DC.  You would need to add a rectifier and filter.  Plus, if you note, the winch is rated over 3000W peak, and if you price the 5kVA control transformer you would need, it costs more than the winch.

A good electrician could figure out your issue for a lot less.  If the motor has power but is not turning, you probably lost a starting capacitor, will cost you $20 to fix.  Plus the Electrician's time, of course.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 79 Posts