Ask a car salesman

2/12/08 @ 10:00 AM
ORIGINAL POST
niklaus7
niklaus7
USER since 5/9/02
kind of like the ask a warden thread. seems whenever a thread with a question about what a car is worth or about the car buying processed is asked it ends up getting fairly cluttered with a lot of questions that could be put here. if you have a question about anything to do with buying a car ask it here. i would be happy to answer any of your questions as long as they aren't degrading and stay on topic. i sell chevrolet, buick, dodge, chrysler, and jeep. i can't speak for anyone else but i would imagine there are other car salespeople on here that might sell other brands and would be willing to answer questions here.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 339 Posts
1/23/13 @ 3:57 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
Looking at loaded low miles 2010 saturn outlook. Seeing how Saturn is no longer in business. I was wondering what that will do to the resale in 3 to 4 years? Also if anyone has any experience with this vehicle?

Post Your Comment
1/7/13 @ 10:32 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
My Sweetie and I purchased a Buick LeSabre from a local small used car lot (this is my 5th LeSabre over 17 years). We are friends with the mechanic, the boss was out for the day. Mechanic opened the book on this car, showing what they paid and what they did to it, brake pads, shoes and rotors, other small items. Then we went to Kelly Blue Book and met half way between asking price and what they put in the car. Owner returns and we discussed the crack in the windshield and met half way again on the replacement cost. All are happy.

Post Your Comment
1/7/13 @ 7:35 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
The real quesiton is, is it worth it?

Would you put it on if you were buyinyg a car?

Post Your Comment
1/5/13 @ 8:55 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
Having been in the business for years when I was a little younger I can tell you how you get things for free............

They made a HUGE smash on you and they are happy to make you feel like you worked them good.... and are happy to let it seem like you got over on them.

OR

Scenario 2

Dealer sells a car to someone who just hopes to get lucky with crap credit. When the dealer says We'll get it done, they are so happy they take all the crap the salesman offers.... They pay list price,take the rustproofing, clearcoat protection, fabric protection, floor mats......just get me done and I'll take everything. They go into finance and the finance guy puts them into a high interest rate loan with all the credit life and disability. Everybody is making a TON of money on the poor shlep who lied about his 4 grand down payment. Maybe its late at night but because the finance guy is sure he can get it done, they go ahead and prep the car so they can get it down the road ASAP.....cause remember EVERYBODY IS MAKING A SMASH.

Well then it happens.....REALITY........The schlep has NO DOWN PAYMENT and NO CREDIT and MOM WON"T CO-SIGN. Crying Crying

The deal falls through............

Now comes you, the next schlep. You want the car, and if they haven't already listed an "add on" they give you the " If you buy it today we will throw in a complete protection package for FREE. You work for the best price but they have already figured in the cost of the protection package. RESULT..... they don't deal as much on the price...cause someone has to pay for the package....YOU !

I worked for a couple BIG DEALERSHIPS. This is SOP. Nothing is Free. Well, maybe the coffee or soda they get you.... to keep you there while they work you. Puke Puke

You know what happens to the sales people who try and treat people with compassion and won't SMASH every deal? They get a hard time from management.

But I am sure all that is changed now! Wink Puke

Edited on 1/5/13 9:01 PM
Post Your Comment
1/4/13 @ 5:26 PM
Thrash
Thrash
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Oh come on, Nick, with all due respect to your profession (and I am aware you have integrity), there is no such thing as "free". Santa Claus died a long time ago, bud. Somehow, somewhere, someone is paying for things that are given away for "free".

Edited on 1/4/13 5:27 PM
Post Your Comment
1/4/13 @ 2:22 PM
niklaus7
niklaus7
USER since 5/9/02
actually in the right situation(and this sounds like the right situation) we do do things for free.

Post Your Comment
1/3/13 @ 8:42 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11
My brothr in law just bought a new suv. He was telling me he got a great end of the year deal and for the price he paid the dealer even through in "under coating' I almost died laughing, until I saw he was serious.

He then told me he has it applied to all his vehicles when he buys them.

I though this was all a big gimmick. What do you think????

Post Your Comment
11/19/12 @ 2:06 PM
10/28/12 @ 12:20 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
By the time I'm ready to make a deal, all I really need from the dealer is to fill out the paperwork. Everything you need to know including a fair price can be found online.

Yep, I agree w/this as well. The internet is the great equalizer, there should be very little left to discuss by the time you walk into the dealership. On our last vehicle, everything was done via email and we didn't meet anyone at the actual dealership until the day we picked up the car.

I will say, this is much easier if you know the EXACT make/model of what you want and also if you are buying brand new. If this is the case, find out what the x5 closest dealerships will give it to you for (and don't be bashful about letting them know their competitors offers). It is not advisable to walk into a dealership w/out knowing specifically it is that you want, used or not.

Post Your Comment
10/28/12 @ 10:24 AM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Amen Slicer, wholeheartedly agree...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 41 to 50 of 339 Posts