Ask a car salesman

2/12/08 @ 10:00 AM
ORIGINAL POST
niklaus7
niklaus7
USER since 5/9/02
kind of like the ask a warden thread. seems whenever a thread with a question about what a car is worth or about the car buying processed is asked it ends up getting fairly cluttered with a lot of questions that could be put here. if you have a question about anything to do with buying a car ask it here. i would be happy to answer any of your questions as long as they aren't degrading and stay on topic. i sell chevrolet, buick, dodge, chrysler, and jeep. i can't speak for anyone else but i would imagine there are other car salespeople on here that might sell other brands and would be willing to answer questions here.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 339 Posts
4/12/17 @ 7:28 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I too would like to understand vehicle leases as I'm about a year from replacing my old pickup.  How do you build equity in a leased vehicle? I never considered that option because I always viewed leasing as a way to get a new vehicle at a reduced monthly payment.  Downside was that after the term was up, you're left with nothing unless you buy the vehicle.

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 7:25 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

They "calculate" how much the car will be worth at the end of the lease.  If your vehicle is worth more than that calculation you have equity.  If it's worth less you won't owe the difference, however the price they tell you that you will pay for the vehicle once the lease is over stays the same.  When I traded in my van last year I had 1,500 in equity and I went to a different dealership, told them I had equity but did not tell them how much, and I actually got 3,000 in trade for the vehicle!  That's in addition to what I owed for the vehicle had I bought it.

Overage on miles can get expensive if you drive a ton of miles.  I'm on pace for about 9,000 miles over by the end of my lease, which, at 15 cents a mile would cost me $1,350, but then most dealerships won't charge you the overage if you buy another vehicle from them.  That's what Toyota does, at least.  Not sure what Dodge will do to me, but as of now I plan on buying the vehicle anyway.  It'll be a lot more affordable in 2 more years.

Edited on 4/12/17 7:28 AM
Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 7:18 AM
meatpuppets
meatpuppets
USER since 1/7/09

I can't lease. I drive too many miles. I only pay 550 for my 2015 Colorado. 37k. Leasing isn't for everybody 

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 5:44 AM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

How do they determine if you have equity or not at the end of the three year lease period?  Curious how this works as well, I've never leased a vehicle.

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 5:34 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I'm leasing my Dodge Durango, but only because the payments are more affordable that way.  A 45,000 dollar vehicle, I can buy it for 20 grande after a 3 year lease!  My payments would've been almost a thousand a month, but instead are 500, a bit more affordable. And if I don't like the vehicle after 3 years I just send it back, and if I have equity on the vehicle, I get that difference in trade towards a new one!

Post Your Comment
4/11/17 @ 7:46 PM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03

Are most people leasing vehicles now? It seems every tom and dick has a brand new 60-70k suburban or high end vehicle.

Post Your Comment
4/11/17 @ 4:30 PM
Fishscales
Fishscales
USER since 3/2/03

If you look up car gurus and the type of car your looking at it will tell you how long the car has been on the dealers lot.

Post Your Comment
4/11/17 @ 3:23 PM
DonaldDuk
DonaldDuk
USER since 1/25/17

Each dealership is run differently. The dealership that I'm at has a 60 day turn policy. If not sold in 60 days it gets wholesaled and replaced with a quicker moving product. Yet I know some dealerships that have inventory up to 1 year and its still sitting there. In our business the inventory depreciates every day. So the longer you have it the less its worth. At least on the Used Car side anyways. Have you monitored it since the begining of February ? Have they slowly been lowering the price to attract more attention ? We adjust the pricing on our U/C inventory every 14 days.  

Post Your Comment
4/11/17 @ 9:40 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03

Question:  How long is a used car typically on a dealer lot?  With Car Fax reports, it is now easy to see when a dealer first offers a vehicle for sale.  At what point can a buyer use this as leverage?  I'm looking at a unique truck that seems to be a touch overpriced.  It looks to have been on the lot since early February.  Does this give the dealer any added motivation?

Thanks!

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 8:52 PM
Perchhound
Perchhound
USER since 12/5/07
Had a long list of issues that Ive had with mine really to post then I hit the wrong key and it reset. Don't buy one. It will turn into one of the biggest mistakes of your life. "Goggle" 2004 trailblazer issues or problems and see the long list. Worse vehicle Chevy ever made. basically a running, rolling nightmare on 4 wheels. The mechanical issues are unreal. Here's a brief list that I've had go bad. I bought it with 7k and always dealer serviced. Now 102k. You'll be shocked to see all the posts with issues that owners have posted. Message me if you want to know more.

1. The complete dash cluster goes out sometimes only parts like the fuel gauge wont work 2. 3 water pumps 3. 2 power steering pumps 4. ABS system 5. emission air pump 6. Exhaust manifold will develop big cracks 7. Electrical issues, signal, head or tail lights short out 8. Front wheel bearings about every 35K 9. Rotors about every 45k 10. Eats front tires 11. Takes 7 qt per oil change 12. Only gets 15mpg with a tail wind 13. Trailer light system will short out 14. door switches fail 15. possible weak tranny so told to flush it every 35k 16. it will auto lock so never just close the door with keys in ignition 17. Fan resistors fail then you may only have one fan speed 18. Intake manifold will start to leak as they used a plastic gasket and the antifreeze eats it. 19. exhaust resonator will fail 20 3rd set of tie rods.

The good - It's never left me broke down on the side of the road. It can tow a lot. Smooth ride. Haven't got stuck in the snow yet.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 20 to 29 of 339 Posts