Ask a car salesman

2/12/08 @ 10:00 AM
ORIGINAL POST
niklaus7
niklaus7
USER since 5/9/02
kind of like the ask a warden thread. seems whenever a thread with a question about what a car is worth or about the car buying processed is asked it ends up getting fairly cluttered with a lot of questions that could be put here. if you have a question about anything to do with buying a car ask it here. i would be happy to answer any of your questions as long as they aren't degrading and stay on topic. i sell chevrolet, buick, dodge, chrysler, and jeep. i can't speak for anyone else but i would imagine there are other car salespeople on here that might sell other brands and would be willing to answer questions here.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 339 Posts
6/6/18 @ 8:05 AM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11

My brother in law leased a Tahoe. On trip down to FL the air conditioner stopped working.  While down in FL he took it to a local Chevy dealer to get it fixed. 

However, my BIL had to pay for the repair because he was over his mileage?  This happened this past spring.

My question is, is that normal if you are over you mileage the repairs are your responsibility?  

The other question is, does the dealer care how many miles you put on each year (do they really check), or just the total at the end??

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 10:32 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

thanks budmsn... may contact you in a little while 

not sure about 2 yr deal

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 10:14 PM
budman1987
budman1987
USER since 1/19/03
I am currently on my second 3yr 10,000 mile lease and here's my thoughts.. throughout my 20s "I'm 31 now" I owned a few less than stellar vehicles and soon found out that I hate working on cars..I chose to lease my first vehicle a 2014 Silverado bc I was tired of working on vehicles, being without a vehicle during repair times and forking out money to have breakdowns fixed. I live roughly 10 miles from work and when not at work I'm typically  home so knew I wouldn't accumulate many miles..I can drive a vehicle that i otherwise wouldn't afford without making a few cuts other places. I have piece of mind knowing that I have a reliable vehicle ,majority of my maintenance is paid for with free oil changes and what not.. I was still able to use my gm family discount and haggle the price to get my payments where I want..I also looked at factors like I get to take a 3 year test drive if i love it i can buy it at lease end or hand it in.. handing my first vehicle in was painless the dealer did a quick walk around the truck and within 10 minutes i was test driving a new vehicle.. not all are like this my buddy leases a Honda and they sent someone to his house 4 over an hr and they dinged him on some minor nicks and scratches so beware. Downside if I continue to lease I will always have a car payment bbut in reality how many people pay off a vehicle and keep it without buying a new one shortly after.. so pros.. always have newest most reliable vehicle.. cheaper payments than buying.. not stuck with vehicle u find out later u don't care for.. cons always have payments.. have to be careful with mileage any other questions PM me

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 8:13 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

considering a lease for 1st time... any thoughts 

F150, crew cab deal going on now 

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 8:03 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

You can get a more accurate answer from something like kelly blue book (kbb dot com). I would think a 10 yr old car with 100k has considerable life yet which would be reflected in the price depending too on condition of rest of the car.  Not sure why the mileage info on the title would affect price.

Post Your Comment
6/5/18 @ 7:48 PM
Fishscales
Fishscales
USER since 3/2/03

Ok i just recently found out a vehicle in Wi. that is 10 years old or older the miles is exempt, ( on the title) I have 2 vehicle's that are exempt. So my question is if a vehicle is 10 years or older but has lets say 100,000 miles or less should the price of the vehicle reflect the low miles?

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 10:29 AM
Route66
Route66
USER since 6/22/01

Were on 4th lease. Small SUV Ford Escape. I pay extra for a policy to cover damage if any at end of lease. I think its great. Nice up to date car all the time. Only problems we have are the electronics and that's us not the car. 4 cylinder with charger goes plenty fast enough entering freeways.

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 10:24 AM
sheephead
sheephead
USER since 2/8/17

I leased my first vehicle last year 2015 just after Christmas a 2016 Ford explorer. It is my wifes vehicle and her commute to work to is about 2 miles. We took a family vacation to Kentucky last year and it  just turned 12,000 miles on it this week. Mileage is not a problem for us. I was also wary of having nothing at the end of the lease. We saved $150 a month with a lease instead of buying. We always put our vehicles on a 6 year note. Usually would get a new vehicle about the time we paid it off anyway. I guess I except the fact that we will always have a car payment. I like the fact that the main family vehicle is updated and dependable. We also got some features like heated seats, leather, navigation that we never would have paid for if we purchased. Even after 3 years the buy out would probably be about we would have still owed anyway. When the lease is due in 2019 I will find out how it goes. Because I will be well under mileage I hope for some equity.

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 9:13 AM
DonaldDuk
DonaldDuk
USER since 1/25/17

You never want to lease with the intention of building equity ! 85 % of the time that doesn't happen. Leasing is definately not for everybody. However is has developed into 25% of our New car business because of the affordability and tax savings. Lease customers only pay approx 50% of the sales tax that you pay when you "Buy" it. The advantage of a lease is your payment is significantly less than a purchase payment and you typically don't have any repair expenses to fork out either. No tire expense, No brake expense etc etc. It is true that you dont have ownership of the vehicle at the end of the lease term but in its place you should have the difference in the payments in the bank instead of the equity in the vehicle. If you lease you will probably always have a car payment, but its usually half what a purchase payment will be and your usually always under warranty and driving a car with the latest technology and safety features. If your the type of driver that keeps a vehicle for a long time then leasing is not for you. Its just an alternate way of financing a car or truck

Post Your Comment
4/12/17 @ 7:28 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I too would like to understand vehicle leases as I'm about a year from replacing my old pickup.  How do you build equity in a leased vehicle? I never considered that option because I always viewed leasing as a way to get a new vehicle at a reduced monthly payment.  Downside was that after the term was up, you're left with nothing unless you buy the vehicle.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 20 of 339 Posts