another plumbing question

12/26/15 @ 12:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
My house water runs on a well pump and bladder tank. In the past 20 years the pump took 18 seconds to replenish the tank. One day past summer it started taking only 11 seconds to fill the tank. So I checked the pressure by draining the tank through the hose bib at the bottom, checked the pressure with aseperate gauge and made a small adjustment. The adjustment only needed 1 pound of air pressure so this wasnt the problem. The pressure guage on the tank indicates everything is A-OK (40 cut in and 60 cut out) but the pump still runs only 11 seconds before cutting out. How do I determine if there is another problem? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
9/6/16 @ 8:47 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

LOL Lazyfisher. I know how it is whith the MIL's. This summer I had to completely avoid her so I could get my own house projects done. Just remember, someday we will be old and less than fully capable too

Post Your Comment
9/6/16 @ 8:20 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along.  There is one large tree in the yard that is probably close enough to cause problems, but I have no idea the type.  There are also lilac bushes on both sides of the sewer lateral.  I know lilacs have pretty extensive roots from the ones I have removed, just don't want to tell her that because I know who will be removing them..... 

Post Your Comment
9/6/16 @ 7:54 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

I know you got this figured out R-C, but for everyone here, anytime your well pump takes less than 60 seconds to fill the pressure tank, you have a problem.  ALL submersible motors used in house wells these days require a 60-second run time, every time they turn on, to provide proper cooling to the motor.  Anytime the run time is less than 60 seconds, too much heat is being generated by the motor windings and is not being allowed enough time to cool by water flowing past the motor down in the well.  This excess heat will shorten the life of your motor, although that life-shortening is a variable that cannot be predicted...As you saw, your pump was short-cycling for 20 years, you didn't know it, and it still works.  That is impressive to me that your pump still works after decades of overheating, but sometimes they can handle the abuse...good luck!

Post Your Comment
9/5/16 @ 7:09 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Any chance your MIL has silver maples growing in her yard. Those are the most notorious trees for having agressive root systems invading sewer pipes.

Post Your Comment
9/5/16 @ 6:03 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Sounds like the issue may be clay pipes and tree roots...   There is no reason to replace the main, there are a few home remedies that may work.   The first is flushing a pound of salt down the water closet one time per month, many times that kills the tree roots,  and keeps things flowing smoothly.    You can also buy a sewer lateral maintainer at many of the big box stores including Menards, they serve the same purpose-to kill the tree roots.   The older clay pipes are somewhat porous, and with water and sewage, it's a great fertilizer for the trees,  and they tend to seek it out. 

Edited on 9/5/16 6:04 PM
Post Your Comment
9/5/16 @ 1:59 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06

My MIL has to have her sewer lateral cleaned out one a year and is looking at having the whole thing replaced.  I've heard of a lining that can be done.  Are linings any good or just a band aid to a bigger problem? Just looking for pros/cons, and a rough idea on cost?   Would only be about 30 feet at most.  Boyceville, WI if that makes a difference. TIA

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 5:25 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Anybody know a place to rent a 100ft drain camera in the green bay/appleton area? Thanks

Post Your Comment
2/28/16 @ 8:15 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
great you got the problem resolved, nice tip on the Shark Bites

Post Your Comment
2/28/16 @ 7:59 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
It has taken a while but I finally replaced this bladder tank and all evidence says i shouldve done this 10 yrs ago. My pump is running for a full minute to refill the tank which makes sense on a 1/2 HP well pump. The old bladder was definiteyl a leaker.

When I built this house I did a lot of the copper soldering myself and it is defintely time consuming. Theyve got these relatively new inventions called Shark Bites where you slip the pipe in and the joint locks tight and leak proof. Looks like you can find them only at Home Depot though Menards has the Chinese knockoff. Sharkbites a are a huge timesaver.

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 3:46 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
I finally made it home and checked the shroeder valve. No water comes out so its appearing the bladder isnt ruptured, just dont know what else it could be. Maybe there isnt a problem? Thanks for the comments everyone.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts