A request from way in the back corner

1/30/15 @ 11:02 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Frankly
Frankly
USER since 1/23/03
I’m hoping to get few good suggestions on how to deal with something that I’ve put off dealing with for the last 6 years. It may seem silly to most of you but it’s one of the hardest things I’ve had to deal with in my 60 years on this planet. So here goes… In early 2009, a young 20 year old man/boy joined the army to do what he felt was his duty just like his two brothers had. By September 2009, we were bringing his body back home. He was murdered in an ambush in the craphole known as the Paktika province in Afghanistan while on patrol looking for a soldier that disappeared from their camp. Anyway, my brother and I, I’m Matts’ uncle and Ken is Matts Stepdad, always kept him active hunting and fishing while growing up so he has some camo clothes that’s just sitting in a bag in storage at my place. My brother asked me to handle disposing of them. Obviously, it wasn’t any easier for me. That’s why 6 yrs later I still have this gear. I can’t just throw it out. It’s good clothes and it’s Matts clothes. I don’t just want to drop them off to good will and end up seeing some wino running around in them. I can’t wear them because I’m not worthy. Not to mention I’m an emotional wreck every time I see them. So I’d like to donate them but I have no idea to who? I’d like to see some group or person that gives hunting opportunities to youngsters that would otherwise not get that chance take these clothes. Maybe some kid that lost his dad in the war. It’s 3 different insulated pants and one waterproof breathable camo jacket. A Walls’ I believe. Nothing of real $ value but in like new condition and the value of knowing that they belonged to someone who loved his country so much he gave his life for it. I don’t know if I can post pictures of them but I can email them to someone that is interested in them. So what would you do with them? I live near Madison Steve Sorry for the wall of text. I did this in word cause it took 2 hrs and LL kept timing out Smile
Edited on 1/30/15 11:03 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
2/10/15 @ 12:24 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
Much appreciated. Sounds like Matt was a great young man.

Post Your Comment
2/10/15 @ 7:51 AM
Frankly
Frankly
USER since 1/23/03
I also want to thank Igor for your offer and what you do. Had it not been that you posted up after I started contact with this group you would've been the call.

Post Your Comment
2/10/15 @ 7:46 AM
Frankly
Frankly
USER since 1/23/03
Just an update to all that responded. I found a group that I want to have these clothes. The group is called 'take 'em outdoors. http://www.takeemoutdoors.org/

After conversation with Chad Loch, the president I knew this was the right outfit. They do some amazing stuff. Chad said that they could use the clothes for some of the people that they help. You all might want to visit the web site and take a look for yourself. They're local to Green Bay.

Thanks to you guys for letting me vent. I handled something I hadn't been able to for a bunch of years.

Edited on 2/10/15 7:53 AM
Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 1:04 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Fair enough, Frankly. Sounds like Matt was a great young man. May he rest in peace.

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 12:44 PM
Frankly
Frankly
USER since 1/23/03
Thanks BT

But I have to respectfully disagree

When I was a lad in the early 70's I was too busy being a punk and a he*l raiser to be bothered with that kind of responsibility. I am nowhere the man he was. Just because of the emotional factor I couldn't wear them. especially around my brother.

I do appreciate the kind words from all of you.

Sometimes kids do the right things : )

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 12:37 PM
Frankly
Frankly
USER since 1/23/03
God,I'm glad in posted this here. I'm actually doing something about it! The vfw suggestions were good. I made an attempt to call the Sun Prairie vfw but the girl at the bar wasn't much help.

I talked with a warden and he gave me the same suggestions you guys did. I just sent an email to the president of this org.'Take'em Outdoors' http://www.takeemoutdoors.org/

If this doesn't work out I will contact you igor. If I saw your post before my email I would've just gave them to you.

Steve

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 12:33 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Frankly,

I too am sorry for your family's loss. I have never experienced loss to that degree in my life so I can't pretend to know how you feel. But I disagree with something that you said.

You mentioned that you and your brother taught Matt how to hunt and fish. Yours and your brother's parenting and mentoring likely contributed to Matt developing his sense of honor, loyalty, duty, generosity, respect, selflessness and sacrifice that I believe a person requires in order to have the bravery to pick up a weapon and defend a nation and it's people.

Again, I cannot say that I know the pain that you and your family must feel over this but I disagree with you thinking that you are not worthy.

For what it's worth...

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 12:25 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Last summer, when I was layed up for couple of months, I watched a lot of outdoor shows. A few of them had special shows for returning vets. Some were wounded, some not. On most of those shows they displayed info at the end about the organizations that helped match up the hunters with the outfitters. If you can stand the guy, Ted Nugent is involved with some of those. Maybe give a look to Uncle Ted's website????? Mrt.

P.s. Posted prior to reading Igor's post.

Edited on 1/30/15 12:26 PM
Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 12:23 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
WOW doesn't cover it.

I'm a volunteer with the WI Paralyzed Veterans in the Milwaukee area and I know there are several members who still hunt & fish who could put the gear to good use. Let me know it you're interested and we can arrange something.

Post Your Comment
1/30/15 @ 12:00 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Wow.....

I am deeply sorry for your loss. The VFW is a great idea. What about giving them a call? They might just come and pick the stuff up from you?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts