Hard Travel Case for 2pc Rod

4/15/18 @ 7:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10

I'll be flying to Alaska in the fall to help my dad on a sheep hunt and we're going to do some fishing while we're there. What's a good hard case for the plane? All my rods are 2pc so that limits my options some. The plan is to take two rods up and pack the reels in with the regular luggage.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
4/20/18 @ 7:38 AM
burroak
burroak
USER since 6/26/01

Go to Menards or Home Depot and buy a piece of square rain plastic gutter (about 2.5" square).  Cut to length +2" and make the plugs for the ends from a piece of 2X4.  Glue a small piece of soft foam on the inside of the wood plugs to protect the ends of the rods.

Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 7:42 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

If it's a one time thing and you are dead set on that rod, maybe a shipping tube with plugs?

Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 8:40 AM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06

If it was me, I'd pick up couple 4 or 6 piece rods and stuff the tubes in my carry-on.....

Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 7:12 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04
I have carried on 2 piece fly rods, with my sage tube.  The problem with four sections from two rods is diameter of case might get too large.   My 9 ft two piece rod is longer than most overhead bays, but there is porting you can utilize in back to slide through two.  I see lots of guys flying with PVC cases

Edited on 4/16/18 7:15 AM
Post Your Comment