Winnebago trolling lure/color/size for a newbie

2/8/18 @ 9:51 AM
ORIGINAL POST
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10

I am looking to trunk trolling this year on the Winnebago system and need to buy some cranks. 

I dont want to spend a fortune on cranks so would like suggestions on what are my best options for colors/sizes/lures if you had a $200 budget. 

I see fleet has salmos on sale right now for a good price. 

Please give me your favorites so I don’t spend on the wrong things.  Thanks

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
4/28/18 @ 11:59 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

Sure beats a 7 or 8 dollar rapala.

Post Your Comment
4/28/18 @ 7:48 AM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10

Just an FYI. Scheels has a sale on flicker shads online right now. I am ordering some flickers for 2.66 each

Post Your Comment
2/15/18 @ 11:41 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

Getting lures to run true has been a mystery to me. When it starts tracking to one side or the other, how do you go about getting back in tune? I've been taking pliers to the ring, but so far haven't been able to get one to run perfectly. 

Post Your Comment
2/11/18 @ 3:11 PM
walleyeralph
walleyeralph
USER since 6/20/01

All good info on baits.Most important make sure the bait runs true as in straight down. Not on its side you will not get bit.

Post Your Comment
2/11/18 @ 8:20 AM
nubbz07
nubbz07
USER since 12/31/09

Bugle trout those Sparkle Tails still work pretty darn good ;-)

Post Your Comment
2/10/18 @ 8:38 PM
Landin' Lunkers
Landin' Lunkers
USER since 6/4/12

I run what the guys below do aswell. I am new to trolling bago and mite I say invest in some off shore mini planer boards. They are reversable for either side of the boat and you can usually get a 4 pack on ebay for about 65 to 70 bucks. Well worth the money so your baits aren't on top of eachother. Helped me alot.

Post Your Comment
2/10/18 @ 3:51 PM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I bought 24 salmos last night in the color combos that were suggested. Some were sold sold out or only had one of a particular color. Most were bought in pairs. glad I bought last night bc the price went up this morning. 

Now I need to wait for flickers to go on sales. Thanks for all the help. 

Post Your Comment
2/10/18 @ 9:28 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

Also, Doohop,

Make sure you try to get at least two of each color so you can duplicate presentations when you find a pattern.

Post Your Comment
2/10/18 @ 9:26 AM
Jared
Jared
USER since 7/22/01

I caught my first walleye on a "Rainbow Trout" rapala about 25+ years ago. Back then we used to count out the line, hold the rods and putt around watching the flasher for depth.

My how things change. Still have the lure too!

Post Your Comment
2/10/18 @ 8:38 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I found an old box of lures from years gone by while digging around my shed last fall.  I found a lure that was key many years ago on Bago.  The yellow and black jointed Sparkle Tail.  Can't wait to run it this summer.  If nothing else, it brings back some great memories.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts