What spinning reel should I get?

12/8/15 @ 12:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
J-theFisherman
J-theFisherman
USER since 1/29/15
Hey guys, so I'm upgrading my rods and reels and putting a bit more money into them then I usually do. But I'm having a hard time deciding on what spinning reel I should get. I've been mainly thinking about a pflueger president, a shimano sahara, or a shimano symetre. I wan't something thats more durable, will last a long time, and still remain smooth and perform well after time. What reel do you guys think I should get? Other suggestions would be helpful too, but please don't tell me to "step up a few bucks and get a stella for $1000" Tounge Out $100 will be the most I spend. Anyways thanks for any help Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 53 Posts
10/25/17 @ 12:58 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
USER since 7/30/16

Don't laugh but take a look at the KastKing Kodiak.

All metal construction and smooth as silk.

Another good one is the Cadence CS10

For a bit more money the Abu Garcia Revo SX is really good.

Daiwa BG (black gold) is also outstanding, you can find the 2500 size on ebay for 69 dollars sometimes.

Edited on 10/25/17 12:59 PM
Post Your Comment
7/22/17 @ 12:56 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER since 12/26/10

Love the old Mitchells.Almost feel like going back to using them after throwing away newer reels.Shimano quality has gone down in recent years,used to swear by them.Now you have to get into a Ci4 or Sustain to get decent quality.

The sticking problem with a lot of reels has to do with the roller clutch.Gets grease or whatnot in them and fails.

Reel pictured was purchased at Norm's hardware in Racine many years ago.

Post Your Comment
7/18/17 @ 11:03 AM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

Last new reel I bought was 1971, Mitchell 308 its still in use. Bet you can guess what other reels I use............ All bought  since have been at yard sales, flea markets, swap meets, guess what they are, all old style Mitchell's 300's & 308's, not because I'm cheap, there just the best reels going as far as I'm concerned. Just picked up two 300's this past week look like new on a rod for $15 each. I don't like the new style, have tried other brand reel but none appeal to me. Just call me old school.

Post Your Comment
7/17/17 @ 10:54 AM
s.s esox
s.s esox
USER since 12/22/14

I have the same issue Long Barrels mentions on my jigging rods. My reels have essentially become disposable I've been a die hard Shimano guy but I'm done with them. I'm going to give a Penn spin fisher a try. About $100. I've heard good things and I've had great luck with my Penn musky reel.  I may also give the President a try that's mentioned below. 

Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 7:09 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

This is a great thread, always relevant. Since it started I bt 4 Presidents and very pleased so far.

Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 6:32 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I have 7 presidents and 5 trions. Been using pflueger since 2005 and very happy with them. Post is irrelevant but just saying.

Post Your Comment
4/24/17 @ 10:33 PM
J-theFisherman
J-theFisherman
USER since 1/29/15
Lol, its interesting that people have been replying to this post I made in 2015. I have bought several reels now though, and so far Daiwa is my personal favorite by far, and I do believe their spinning reels are the best bang for the buck. They're more budget friendly and really pack their lower end reels with a lot of quality, features, and technologies. Next time you guys go to cabelas or gander mountain or wherever, feel the Daiwa Revros ($50) and Daiwa RG-AB ($60). They feel as smooth as $200 reels and they do last and perform very well.

Post Your Comment
3/20/17 @ 12:45 PM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
USER since 1/12/09

I've been happy with the Abu Revo and orra I got, but for the money I think the orra wins, but as almost everyone here has said, presidents, period, for the money.  Every other Pflugerville reel I've used was crap, except the president.  Few of my major walleye pro friends have said the same thing.  Guys with big buck sponserships using $40 reels on $400 rods because the president's have proven to be quality trustworthy reels that even their amateur daily partner can't break.  I have always been an Abu guy which is why I use the revo and orra spins but they are simply over priced like nearly everything else out there anymore.

Bacon

Post Your Comment
3/18/17 @ 2:04 AM
walleye1987
walleye1987
USER since 6/20/16

I own 6 Pflueger Presidents. Great reel for the money. Gander has them for $40 right now with there discount. Buy one and try it. If you dont like it sell it on ebay, return it, or just keep it since your only about $40 in. I own 6 of them because I love them. I have never experienced any issues with them and they are probably the most rated reel around with excellent reviews. I cant imagine you can go wrong with a Shimano either. All personal preference. Do your research and go to a commercial store and play with all of them. There is a lot of factors to figure in to find a perfect reel.

Post Your Comment
3/16/17 @ 3:34 PM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03

Probably a lot of you guys were still in diapers and never got the chance to experience the old Shakespeare 2200 Sigma. Although not on the list, I've yet to find a replacement as far as smoothness and function go. To this day I still use the old 025, 030, and 035. Here's an interesting read on some of the old time reels. 

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Vintage-ultralight-spinning-reels-The-best-ones-/10000000079452361/g.html

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 53 Posts