What kind of rod should I get?

6/23/15 @ 4:01 PM
ORIGINAL POST
J-theFisherman
J-theFisherman
USER since 1/29/15
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help or recommend me a rod to get. Mine broke the other day and can't be fixed. I want something for a spinning reel that can handle very thin and slick braid, and something that can be used for multi species fishing. Like panfish, and also usable for bass fishing and casting spoons and cranks for trout. A brand name or just a rod action and rod length would be really helpful. I also don't want to spend more than $30 - $40 since I'm just getting a rod and not a reel. I appreciate any help Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/26/15 @ 11:22 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
One of very many easily handled trout with that very versatile rod.

It really is one of the best "bang for the buck" rods I've seen, especially when versatility is considered.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 11:13 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
At that price point you basically get junk, just a vessel for your line to flow through. The best bet is just what coach mentioned, that $45 IM-7. I'm not familiar with the line-up, but I'd look for something that can actually do everything you want it to do with actual effectiveness, therefore a 7'6" M/L would be my suggestion. If cabelas has that with that IM-7, its perfect. Unfortunately, that's not a standard rod in a lot of lineups, so I'd be surprised if they offered it...Coach??

The rod I'd strongly suggest, and its WELL worth the extra cash. St. Criox premier 7'6" M/L extra-fast.

Its soft enough for panfish, and long, to aid in casting distance, great for perch and crappie and its length and soft action with decent backbone is workable for trout. These are the 2 species that are the hardest to find compatibility with your other targeted species. I've used mine for all kinds of bass fishing, it excels fishing finesse and jerkbaits, and smaller cranks, and its my primary rod for perch on Lake Michigan and because I utilize spoons and cranks, I catch a ton of trout on them as well, and I land almost every one.

I know its not what you asked for, but it really is the best rod for what you are looking for and maybe something to shoot for at Christmas or something. They do run about $100. I lent out my backup one and never got it back, otherwise I'd offer it to you really cheap, but its gone.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 10:39 PM
Mr.Pinch
Mr.Pinch
USER since 5/17/15
I understand you have a budget in mind, but spending enough to get a st.croix premier rod with a 5 year warranty is well worth it. They were one sale at cabelas for a hundred bucks, but I'm not sure if they still are.

Post Your Comment
6/26/15 @ 10:12 AM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
I know the Lightning Rods are very popular, but I'm not a fan. They strike me as rather flimsy.

I know you mentioned brand-names, but with your limited budget, I'd encourage you to look at house-branded rods at whatever store you go to.

Since I work at Cabela's, I know those products; the Pro Guide series (IM7) retail for @ $45, the best-selling Tourney Trail (IMCool retail for $65-70, but are often on sale for 30-50% off.

I assume gander and bass Pro have comparable product lines, you typically get more bang for the buck on a house-branded product.

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 3:19 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
I 2nd the Berkeley lighting rod... If you want trout as well maybe a medium may be better. Gander mountain votex rods for $20 really are not that bad and they are 1 piece rods. I have one and it is my favorite spinning rod.

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 2:19 PM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03
medium lite action rod should meet all your needs for your description. Take what feels good in your hand and budget

Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 8:29 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I would go with a Berkeley Lightning Rod.

Post Your Comment