LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Wanting to Fish Harbors like Port Washington?

3/21/19 @ 10:01 AM
INITIAL POST
DeadHead13
User since 12/18/18

I'd like to try and start fishing the habors. I live near Port Washington and would like to try salmon and trout fishing out of the harbor. I'm wondering what kind of rod set up I need? How heavy and long of a rod, what kind and pound test? What are good baits? Slip bobber fishing?  Any direction would surely be appreciated!!

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
9/8/20 @ 3:56 AM
smokercraft427
User since 4/16/06

Harbor fishing is uncomplicated but also has a lot of useful experience will help. You'll see guys with long noodle rods and they have there advantages but I've fished the harbors for many,  many years with 7' and 7'6" spinning rods. I use 10# braid with a 12# floro leader about  3' long. You can use straight mono, I'd suggest 12 or 15# . Glow,KO wobbler, Glow 3/4 oz little cleo casting spoons in orange or green. Square bill crank baits, #14 firetiger Rapala are all good choices.  Bobber fishing? Use skein or make or buy spawn sacs. I like to fish 2' off bottom. You can also, if you make spawn sacs, put floating balls in the sacs and just use a larger split shot about 2' up. Contact me if you're serious about getting into it. I'm moving to Florida in 2 years and have thousands of lures, 50+ polls, reels.... that I may part with a couple at a fair price to help out a beginner.  

3/23/19 @ 9:38 AM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

You can use whatever you rod you need to fish. I use a 7' medium action spinning rod with 10 pound stren mono. I have also used my 10' noodle rod and casted small spoons and rapala.

For spoons I like krocodile, little Cleo, and kastmasters.  I also like casting shad raps and countdown rapala.

Have used slipbobbers and bottom rigs depending on the time of year and the fish.

S

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE