SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Ulterra- How do you follow contour?

6/13/19 @ 10:20 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I bought an Ulterra a couple of weeks ago. I am figuring it out but am stuck on getting it to follow the contours of the Lakemaster chip. This apparently is not not done through the remote but it is a function in the Helix 10 on the dash. I called Minnkota and the guy tried to help but he obviously didn't know. He read some stuff off from the manual but was obviously guessing. I checked youtube and couldn't find an explanation either. Anybody know how it is done? The Cabelas guys at Richfield also were clueless. I will try the local Marina/service center next. The lack of customer support is aggravating to say the least. Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
6/25/19 @ 8:39 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

When you buy a LakeMaster chip is comes as a Mini SD with a SD adapter so it will work in either the Helix 10 or the 7.

If I'm understanding you correctly you could still run your older SD cards in your Helix 10 (if you even are worried about contours on that unit) and the new micro SD in the 7 and then use the 7 to control trolling motor functions.

In the event of a failure of anything the same chip that's going to be in the 7 would also work in the 10 with the provided adapter so you would still have control of the T/M.

6/24/19 @ 9:36 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I think that is for the opposit problem. Machine only has a slot for the micro card. Mrt

6/23/19 @ 8:43 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Not exactly sure what your needs are, but there are adapters you can buy... example:

amazon.com/SanDisk-microSD-Memory-Adapter-MICROSD-ADAPTER/dp/B0047WZOOO

6/23/19 @ 7:00 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I would only get one new chip but the new Helix 7 accepts only the micro chips. I like to keep the option of running the larger Helix 10 for side imaging and using the smaller unit for Charting/ nav. Mrt.

6/21/19 @ 8:01 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I run two units at the helm and one is usually GPS and one sonar. I only have a map chip in one because they are networked so if I'm watching the sonar and see something I can still drop a mark on it and use it. The units don't share mapping but do share waypoints and tracks.

You can also still control your I-Link from the unit with no chip to navigate to waypoints. The only function you will not have on the unit without the map chip will be contour following.

6/21/19 @ 6:01 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

$450 would be the approximate cost of 2 Wisconsin and 2 Minnesota cards. I run a Helix 10 and a Helix 7 on my rig. Mrt.

6/20/19 @ 10:56 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I understand your frustration, I had the same issue when I switched from my LCX Lowrance's to Humminbird's. Although I'm not sure any new graphs take a full size card now.

But I have to ask, why $450?

6/20/19 @ 10:35 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I have 2 Wisconsin and 2 Minnesota Lakemaster chips for sale on the trading post. They are all version 2. They do everything I need except interface with my Ulterra. Just bought a Helix 7 as a sideshow for my Helix 10. They come with a marginally functional Navionics chip and the Helix 7's only accept micro chips!!! I have a perfectly good set of full size chips but they won't work. I asked the customer service people at Humminbird why they included a Navionix chip when it doesn't support half of the chart functions available on the unit. They didn't have much to say. Looks like I need to blow another $450 on new chips. Not very happy with them right now. Mrt.

6/19/19 @ 10:14 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Glad I read this, I bought a new Helix 7 and Terrova this year and haven't tried to follow a contour yet.  I have an older Navionics chip in there now so it doesn't sound like that will work.  Time to spend some more money.

6/18/19 @ 7:03 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I would be willing to bet the people that are having issue are not downloading the correct update or installing it as directed.

I know my Helix units need updates, some released in 3/19 and one of the updates was for Ipilot.

Take a look at the software update page and pay special attention you are selecting the correct update for your graph and then it will tell you what is included in the update.

Follow the directions and you shouldn't have an issue, I've done all of mine and several for friends who were afraid if it.

6/18/19 @ 2:06 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Have you got this working?  For some reason I thought that my chips say iPillot Link on them, but I could be wrong.  Do you have just one Locator and the trolling motor or do you have multiple units?  A single unit, the trolling motor can hook up direct to the unit, but with multiple units you will need a hub, or ethernet box, that needs power to it.

6/18/19 @ 12:48 PM
Walleye 1
User since 6/22/01

I did the software updates on my Helix 7 and 859 without any issues. I have everything hooked up and working...Just cant seem to get the contour follow to working. My chip is a V6 so it should be good. 

6/18/19 @ 12:38 PM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

No I haven't done any updates yet. I got new birds last spring. Everything has been working good for me.  I see a lot of people on hummingbird facebook page have a lot of problems after updating so I'm kind of leary of doing it since its working well. 

6/18/19 @ 12:35 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I've read it Wisconsin V5.0 or newer but no first hand knowledge.

Have you checked you software versions to make sure your  equipment has the latest updates?

6/18/19 @ 12:30 PM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

I have lakemaster plus chips that say I-pilot on them.  I couldn't tell you how to install any wires tho. I had the dealer do all that. lol

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE