LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Transducer mounting on 14ft aluminum boat! Help me!!!

5/14/19 @ 8:34 PM
INITIAL POST
jfoss82
User since 5/13/06

Hi everyone,

A few weeks back I picked up a nice little fishing boat. I also just got a new Humminbird Helix 7 w gps/si/di. I am new to the side imaging and have no idea where to mount the transducer. Surely I can’t be the first one to do this?!? Does anyone have any tips, or pictures of their install on a similar boat to mine. It’s a 70s Mirrocraft, 14ft. Any help you might have would be awesome.  

Transducer mounting on 14ft aluminum boat! Help me!!! photo by jfoss82
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
4/12/20 @ 6:22 PM
Mcjimmis
Mcjimmis
User since 1/27/20

Jfoss, 

Did you get everything hooked up and working good? I got a new unit with SideVü but the transducer is a monster and I’m thinking I’ll have issues with the lower unit being in the way for side scanning. 

I have a small 14’ boat so the 15hp outboard sits close to the stern. I’d most likely have to trim to the top hole but not sure if that’ll be enough. 

Hoping to see how your project went. 

Thanks 

James 

5/26/19 @ 5:37 PM
marvin1965
marvin1965
User since 6/19/15

I have a  Garmin 73sv  on a Portable Transducer Bracket  I've  contacted Garmin last year had no down or side imaging .. I talked to them on the water  ect….. Garmin  replaced the unit  at the end of fishing season  This year same issues  I was wondering is the Portable Transducer Bracket  the problem.. 

I don't think I've ever had Down or side imaging that worked well  didn't really get to test the new unit  any thoughts

The  traditional  part works great!!!!

5/20/19 @ 10:22 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

google transducer mounting board, you'll get an idea of what's been suggested, plus some youtube examples

transducer mounting board

5/19/19 @ 9:41 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

Mounting board - a roughly 8"x8" piece of "starboard". You could use a thick piece of plastic cutting board....Sealer - 3M 5200 marine adhesive/sealant is about as permanent as it gets.

5/18/19 @ 8:30 PM
Bone-fish
Bone-fish
PRO MEMBER User since 11/3/16

Agree with others have said. Use mounting plate so when/if you want to move the transducer or change it in the future you aren't swiss cheesing your boat. Mounting the plate isn't hard either. Feels wrong drilling holes in a boat but filling the hole with sealant before adding the mounting hardware seals the holes right up. Also installing the transducer on the side with less prop disturbance is always recommended. That is based on the clock rotation of the prop. When you usually mount a transducer you also take into consideration where the stern waterline is at plaining speed so the transducer rides the least aerated water. However with these side imagining transducers I have never seen anyone get them to work at high speed so I wouldn't even worry about getting them to work at plaining speeds. Most guys I talk to have a second cheaper high speed transducer to see things while on plain but I dont have experience with those.

5/18/19 @ 7:05 AM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

My 14 ft Lund 

5/17/19 @ 6:45 PM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

I have a 14 foot too I use a clamp on it is a Sully 8001P Universal Portable Transducer Bracket  $55.00 at amazon.

5/15/19 @ 12:49 PM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

I've got a 14fter too and i bought a suction cup mount for mine and it works just fine. I think i bought it from Gander mountain.

5/15/19 @ 12:40 PM
Jamie G
User since 12/2/05

X 2 on the mounting board. There are a lot of videos online on mounting tips. Level your transducer according to how your boat sits underway to get the best images...these are from my helix 7 mega...

Transducer mounting on 14ft aluminum boat! Help me!!! photo by Jamie G
5/15/19 @ 1:43 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08

You have a good quality side imaging unit that can change how you fish. Unfortunantly the more variables you add like clamps and posts holding the transducer the more problems you can have. The unit will be more consistent mounted to the transom. for 20.00 you can get a transom board so that in the future you are not putting any new holes in your transom.

5/14/19 @ 9:45 PM
jfoss82
User since 5/13/06

I guess what I am asking is other than bolting it to the boat has anyone ever used any of the clamp on brackets with success. I don’t know if those types would be a pain with the side imaging. Or is bolting it to the boat the way to go. 

5/14/19 @ 9:03 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Ummm, why not just mount it on the transom as the instructions dictate?

If it makes you feel better bolt a plate on the transom and screw to that.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE