SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Suggestions for an anchor

11/18/18 @ 7:25 PM
INITIAL POST
tool
User since 6/3/04

I have a 16.5 alumacraft deep V, and I’m looking for suggestions for a new anchor.  I do fish in rocks alot, in river systems, if that helps at all.  Is there one style of anchor that is better than others for not getting snagged on the rocks?

I will attach a photo of one I see guys use quite a bit, but not sure if they are ideal for rocky area.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
12/11/18 @ 6:12 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

I agree with the X wife however that could be more expensive in the long run.It has already cost you a fortune. The Ulterra trolling motor is the best thing in the world.

12/8/18 @ 8:32 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

As an experiment, one of you guys could try using my ex-wife as an anchor.  She won't sink fast if at all.  And she will probably fight like hell when you go to throw her off the boat.  I am willing to try if you are.

Purely in the interest of science, of course.

12/6/18 @ 10:07 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Before I had my iPilot I tried every type of anchor or things i could use as an anchor there are...far and away the absolute best anchor I’ve ever used was a John Deere wheel wedge. Part number R52031. One of those things could hold down an Iowa class battleship in a hurricane. 
12/6/18 @ 2:46 AM
Fish-On Guide Services Of Wisconsin
Fish-On Guide Services Of Wisconsin
User since 6/18/01

Richtor anchor was the last and best anchor I purchased.  With that being said my XI5 now takes place of that.

12/5/18 @ 8:51 PM
Bone-fish
Bone-fish
PRO MEMBER User since 11/3/16

You are mostly correct. The chain is for orientation to have the anchor drop on its side quicker versus standing straight up (quicker to drop as well). The other piece is that because the section directly connected to the anchor is typically in muck and it is easier to wash off a chain but more importantly the chain prevents sharp rocks on the bottom fraying your rope. Its rare that I have had my rope even slightly frayed, but its happened.

12/5/18 @ 7:44 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

the chain's weight helps align the anchor so that it will dig in sooner,  and helps keep it that way... at least that's always been my thoughts on having the chain

12/5/18 @ 7:16 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

I'm in regards to the chain anchor but what is the purpose of a small section of chain on an anchor before the Rope

12/4/18 @ 3:07 PM
tom z
User since 12/4/18

Digger. Light weight holds well and avoids hangups.

11/24/18 @ 10:56 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I'm with Arod, I haven't uwed an anchor in years, MinnKota Spot Lock does it for me.

11/24/18 @ 12:48 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

You'd never pay what I paid for the anchor system I put on the custom river jon boat I bought.  The chain type anchor holds me in the fastest river current over any kind of bottom. It's just like I was nailed down even with minimal line out. The chain weighs 55 lbs and has an electric winch to lower and raise.

11/22/18 @ 8:04 AM
4GILL
4GILL
User since 3/1/15

Anchor considerations for rocky conditions might want to include a digger anchor...  It features a spring loaded fluke release which allows you to free anchor of many rock obstructions.   See UPC 738806206363 available at Fleet Farm, or go to www.diggeranchor.com.

11/22/18 @ 7:35 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

The anchor you have pictured is pretty light. It is not meant for rocks. It's purpose is to dig into the sand or mud and it does a great job at that and pulls away easily when you turn on your motor and go in the direction of where the anchor was.

The ricter anchor is the best all around anchor in my opinion. I gave my dad one years ago after being convinced by Tony Dean on his fishing show. Works great in sand, mud, and rocks. They're a little more expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

11/19/18 @ 9:11 AM
tool
User since 6/3/04

I may give the Richter anchor a try.  I guess any anchor probably could get snagged up on rocks, but I think I may try this one.  If I lose it, I lose it...  Thanks..

I may look into one of those Minnkota trolling motors down the road, not in the cards right now.

thanks guys!

11/19/18 @ 7:17 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

Minncota spot lock. Haven't used an anchor in five years.

11/18/18 @ 8:39 PM
musky1011
User since 7/4/05
Richtor  anchor.. best ever
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE