Suffix Performance Braid vs...

1/1/18 @ 5:49 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'm respooling a few spinning rods for a spring trip and want to go with braid and fluoro leaders.  Suffix Performance Braid looks to be the most economical compared to Power Pro, Fireline and Suffix's 832.  Any opinions?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
1/4/18 @ 3:16 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

BM12,

I just got done talking with a coworker who has been going to Canada every year for most of his life.  I asked him whether I should be going with 10 lb mono equivalent braid or straight 10 lb braid.  He was in agreement with you.  10 lb braid for my spinning reels (4-6 lb mono equivalent) and 20-30 lb braid for my bait casters that I'll use for pike (with titanium leaders).

I did get a bit excited at spooled one of my spinning rods that I plan to use for jigging walleye with 30 lb Sufix PB (10 lb mono equiv) but I can return the other spools I bought.  I have a 7 foot spinning rod with a size 30 reel that I use for pike that I'll put the 30 lb Sufix on and get some 10 lb braid (not sure what brand yet) for my smaller jig combos.

Thanks.

Post Your Comment
1/4/18 @ 3:05 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

spinning rod braid should be 10lb strength, not sure what equivalent diameter this is, I think 6lb?  

bait caster should be somewhere in the 20lb-50lb strength depending on application for pike and bass. 

Post Your Comment
1/4/18 @ 8:49 AM
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
USER since 9/25/17

I've been using Nanofil for 3-4 years now on my spinning reels and have been very pleased.  Nothing cast as far and tangles/wire spooling are non existent.

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 10:18 PM
thatbassguy
thatbassguy
USER since 1/20/09

I highly recommend spiderwire stealth.  It's cheap, and performs well.

I have two spinning rods spooled with 10# that i use for bass fishing, usually with a 12# fluoro leader.  I've caught some real tanks over the last two years, with no break-offs.

I just ordered some 15# blue camo for an upcoming trip to Florida.  I can't wait!

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 9:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

One other thing to point out, I'm going with mono diameter, not the Braid diameter with my spinning rods.  I was planning on going 30 lb, 8lb mono equivalent on my jigging rods and 40 lb, 10 lb mono equivalent on my spinning rod that I use for pike. I wouldn't think that those larger diameters would dig as much but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking.

I had gift car from FF so I stopped and grabbed a $9 100 ft spool of the PB and put it on one of my jig rods (mono backing before the Braid). I was putting a fair amount of tension on the Braid while spooling it.  When it was full, I did loosen the drag a bit and pulled out some line. It did dig a little but not like some braids I've seen.  When I get a chance in open water in spring to let out the spool and crank in a double bladed spinner bait to tighten it all up, I'll let you all know how it works and if there's still some dig to it.

Until then, I continue to appreciate opinions.

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 3:45 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

nanofil is the best braid you can put on a spinning reel in my opinion.  it is not meant for baitcasters, but excels at this specific application.  

Nanofil compared to 832/PP - wind knots is biggest difference.  I have never had one with nanofil.  I think I can cast further too.

I use power pro on my bait casters still, but I found 832 to be comparable for bait casters so I would pick it up without hesitation for that.   

Edited on 1/3/18 3:49 PM
Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 2:33 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

That was on a spinning reel.  I believe it was 10lb braid on a 1500 size Diawa reel.  

Post Your Comment
1/3/18 @ 12:21 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

Sufix performance braid... admittedly,  got a quick hook after my 1 day of use, replaced with 832

was on a baitcast reel, Abu Garcia Revo SX

Had issues with backslashes,  knots, etc were fine

Have multiple baitcasters, round and low profile,  spooled up with Power Pro, and 832... no issues... that's why the performance braid got benched so fast 

Spinning reels spooled with PP,  no issues

Post Your Comment
1/2/18 @ 2:47 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Mr. Bass,

Was that on a bait caster or spinning reel?

Post Your Comment
1/2/18 @ 2:19 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I love 832 but can't stand the performance braid.  I was getting random tangles and birds nests in my line left and right when I was using it.  Nothing like casting 75 feet and your line coming to a halt because of a big mess of tangles getting stuck in the rod eye, and then being forced to either cut off or try to untangle the mess.  Casting distance is better with 832, Power Pro, or Nanofil as well.  Just my opinion.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts