St Croix rods

1/27/16 @ 4:31 PM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Does anyone know of any place that has sales on these? I have a bunch of them already, and am looking for 2 very specific models. Getting them for 50% off would be awesome. Every time I search the net I never see them discounted. Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
2/7/16 @ 1:17 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Thanks B fish. I will keep this in mind this coming fall. I know Bass Pro used to throw the leftover rods in 55 gallon drums for about 40-50% off, but they are all the store brand with a one year warranty (boo).

Post Your Comment
2/7/16 @ 5:10 AM
B Fish
B Fish
USER since 6/26/10
To answer the OPs specific question. I have found the best sales on St Croix rods at the smaller stores (specifically Smaller Gander Mountain)in (Sept & Oct). They like to sell them versus store them for a year and like to get rid of them before the end of the year.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 5:44 PM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
I like st.croix rods also. All my bass rods are st.croixs. Have legend tournaments,avids, and mojo bass rods. They redesigned the mojo line and are now lighter. Looking at the 2016 catalog they have a mojo bass rods matching legend tournament rods in length, power, action, line and lure size and rod weight at half the cost of the legends. But there is a difference in materials and warrantys. But if someone is looking at cost that definitley helps those who are. I like the split grip handle, but i can use both. I do have issues with my line on one of my baitcasting rods getting caught on the hook keeper. Cant wait for open water now !

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 4:47 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
I picked up (2) 7'6" one piece MF action Triumph's from Dick's (online). Just arrived yesterday and I am very happy with the way they look and feel. They balance perfectly with a Shimano Sedona 4000 reel. the only knock is that they have one less eyelet than I would like. I don't think it will be an issue though.

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 3:32 PM
Eyetest
Eyetest
MEMBER since 7/12/01
I have had G.Loomis and Fenwick rods over the years, they are good rods. after losing these to theft I purchased 7' ML one piece St.Croix Triumph rods. I love them , they are just as good as the more expensive rods. When the eyecon came out i found the handle design intrieging. Bought the 7'ML one piece and like it however it does feel different in your hand. I did not see more sensitivity over the Triumph. I do love St. Croix rods though and will buy them again.....If you do find a sale please share, Thanks Eyetest

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 8:08 AM
port1042
port1042
MEMBER since 2/11/12
I'm with you on the split grip. Last year I went out to buy a Triumph X just because I wanted to try the split grip. It turned out that Cabela's had a bunch of Premier models on sale with a split grip, so I jumped in. (A Cabela's exclusive.) After a season with it, I found that I just don't reach for that rod and when I do at some point I'll do something and the split area will catch on something or bump something. I like the rod but I don't like the split. I don't use rod holders but I understand there are problems there too. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I found a deal on my new Legend Elite. Not only a great blank but also a full cork handle. You also asked about the Triumph model. I have a couple in UL and ML power. I like them. I'm sort of a St. Croix junkie so I really don't have another brand to compare them too. They are a good rod. Not as nice as the Premier's. The Premier's aren't quite as nice as the Legend Elite!

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 12:59 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
10+ hours round trip to buy some fishing rods is not gonna happen for me. I know they have a bargain bin, but not necessarily the specific rod models I would be looking for. Very limited time on my part working 6 days a week and only 10 paid vacation days. I have driven past it 2 times in my life when I was on my way up to Ashland for a mini family vacation. Was not in the market for any rods either time. I have a bunch of Croix's. Just started targeting fish in a different way recently which means adding to the quiver.

BTW is there anyone else who just doesn't like the split grip rods. Call me old, but I much prefer the full grip corks. This also limits the rods I would be looking at. I have one split grip Legend Tournament rod I use for drop shotting walleye and bass. My older Legends have full grip cork which I love. Broke one and the replacement has a split grip. Dangit! Just not a fan. Crying

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 8:09 PM
trouter
trouter
USER since 7/3/01
The best place to get a deal on a St. Croix rod is to drive up to Park Falls and to shop in the St. Croix store.

That is what I do.

Trouter

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 2:19 PM
mattg589
mattg589
USER since 2/27/05
Very rarely will you find them on sale. A few options I can think of for you is if have a store coupon for Cabelas or somewhere similar where you get $20 off your purchase of $150 or more. I have not bought a rod from Tackle Warehouse, but they do usually have decent holiday sales. Last year St Croix had their customer appreciation day the day we were driving to our annual fishing trip in Hayward, so we stopped in. At that time they were getting rid of the Rage line up, so all of those rods were $60 brand new. Not bad considering the MSRP was around $160.

Post Your Comment
1/30/16 @ 10:56 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Anyone ever try the Triumph rods? I am eyeballing a pair of the 7'6" MH as an all purpose live bait rod. I am used to Legends and Avids so not sure of the action (fast/moderate?). No-one around here carries this model so I would have to order them and find out blind. I have one of their Tidemaster inshore rods (SCII blank) and it seems kinda tip soft. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts