spinning reels with bait feeder system

3/21/15 @ 4:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fish2xs2
fish2xs2
USER since 3/21/15
Has anyone used a spinning reel with the bait feeder option? The bait feeder is a second drag set up to allows line to be taken out on a light drag setting and once you crank reel handle your main hook setting drag takes over. Kind of like a clicker setting on a bait cast reel. If you have fished with the bait feeder reel what is your opinion of them?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
3/25/15 @ 10:24 AM
Kupti
Kupti
USER since 6/15/01
I've used Shimano and Okuma BAITRUNNERS for catfish and discovered that you can use Shimano reardrags with the lever setting to do the same job ... Set the low end for outgoing tention with the dial and lever. When you want to 'hit',just move the lever for more resistance and your set for the fight ... And it CLICKS ... These dual drags were Spirex models ...

Post Your Comment
3/23/15 @ 10:50 AM
CPR Only
CPR Only
USER since 12/26/14
I noticed the new Avengers are quite different from the ones I got last year. They're even listed as "NEW" on Cabelas site.

Post Your Comment
3/23/15 @ 10:44 AM
fish2xs2
fish2xs2
USER since 3/21/15
CPR-My Avengers look a bit different from the one you posted. I put some line on just to see if the click was loud when line is ripped out with the bait feeder drag on only. It did some noise but nothing like any of the bait casters I own. A clicker paw is listed on thier parts diagram so it is made to make noise. I like the reels may have to get some hearing aids.

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 7:49 PM
YonkerS
YonkerS
USER since 1/28/13
I run 3 Okuma Epixors (EB 30) for pier steelhead/brown fishing & 3 Daiwa Regals (4000 BRi) for surf fishing Lake Michigan.

As already mentioned, the bait runner feature sure beats fumbling with the drag in the middle of a fight.

Post Your Comment
3/22/15 @ 1:09 AM
CPR Only
CPR Only
USER since 12/26/14
Okuma Avengers. Spinning.

Post Your Comment
3/21/15 @ 6:48 PM
fish2xs2
fish2xs2
USER since 3/21/15
CPR- I just bought 2 Okuma avenger 55b spinning reels with the bait feeder system and they dont click at all. Do you have spinning or bait casters?

Post Your Comment
3/21/15 @ 5:52 PM
CPR Only
CPR Only
USER since 12/26/14
I've got 2 Okumas that work great. I looked at a couple different brands before I decided. A couple had no audible click when the line was pulled out. That would defeat the purpose! I don't want to have to watch the reel. The Okumas click nice and loud. They mainly get used to soak suckers while I cast or jig. Set the 2nd drag just tight enough so the suckers doesn't swim off and just wait for it to start clicking! Sure beats loosening the main drag and hoping you set it back where it belongs when you get a bite.

Post Your Comment