Snaps for walleye cranks

3/15/16 @ 1:28 PM
ORIGINAL POST
reefhawg
reefhawg
USER since 1/23/10
Hi gang, I've been walleye fishing at night with cranks for alot of years, and over the past couple years have benefited from the delights of using a snap for added action and or quick and easy lure changes when hands are cold(more reluctant to change lures otherwise). With that said, I have tried a few different snaps and quick connect devices and have not happened upon the best one for my application. I typically cast with 10-20lb braid, with a 6-10lb floro leader(another thread on that here..). I've straightened out some of the quick conects, and haven't found a really good yet small and unobtrusive snap. If you have a model number/catalog number of the snap(not swivel) you prefer, please advise. I might just have to go to a larger snap for added strength, but would like to avoid that. Thank you.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
3/24/16 @ 10:19 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I agree I have straightened out some speed clips, and don't use them. I use the Duo Lock snaps, in the smallest size, and I prefer the black ones. I too do not use swivels as that is just extra hardware.

Post Your Comment
3/24/16 @ 12:08 AM
reefhawg
reefhawg
USER since 1/23/10
My apologies for the mistake. I've corrected in my post below.

Post Your Comment
3/21/16 @ 4:48 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
Thanks reefhawg

Post Your Comment
3/19/16 @ 8:38 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
Simple is best and small snaps add to the free swinging wobble of the shad raps or walleye divers I drag for walleyes. Size numbers vary with different brands but the DUO-LOCK snaps shown in the pic work for me. Size no.1 is rated at 20#,no.2 rates 25#, and no.3 rates 40#. A bag of 25 costs under $3 (Netcraft.com. Page 25). Skip the swivel entirely to reduce weight by your lure.

Post Your Comment
3/19/16 @ 5:31 AM
reefhawg
reefhawg
USER since 1/23/10
Thanks all. I have used the Speed Clips and will use on the lightest cranks/gear. On even 4" cranks with anything larger than a size 2 hook, I was straightening the speed clip. I did like the ease of use, though had to concentrate in the cold as you say Muskie Nut. I have not given up on that product.

With all of that said, I picked up a pack of Mustad KVD Fastach clips and so far so good. I ran down to the river this past week before the floods came, and was able to change lures, straighten a hook or two in a snag, and catch a couple nice Walleyes. From birds eye view it appears that sooner or later a lure could work it's way off one of these, and two outings isn't a ringing endorsement of any kind, though I did like what I saw so far.

One thing I did notice was the fastach clip picked up a bit of grass on the tag end, which is something the norman clip doesn't do, which is nice.

I also dumped my cache of crosloc(not duo-loc) snaps that I've had for several years, and grabbed some more coast loc snaps. I like them for river Musky trips where I have to change lures very quickly as well, as they are tough and decided to try the smaller ones. My local Walmart and Ace had a surprisingly great selection of snaps yesterday.

Post Your Comment
3/17/16 @ 9:40 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPRO-Ball-Bearing-Swivels-with-Coastlock-Snap-Black/738803.uts

find the smallest one of these you can find and you will be set. Gander stocks them. I use the smallest ones I can find trolling for brown trout and they don't pull out, you will lose a split ring on the crank first.

what badger suggested works good too when using leader materials. I will do that when trolling a well when going from 20lb backing to 10lb leader.

normally though when casting cranks, I tie directly because I think snaps, etc impact action negatively

Post Your Comment
3/16/16 @ 5:02 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01
It wont be easy to change when cold, but I use Bill Norman speed clips. Light and strong and allows the bait to give its maximum wiggle.

Post Your Comment
3/15/16 @ 1:54 PM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
I use a size 12 or 14 Crane swivel at the end of my braid and attach a 2' piece of fluro to the swivel. To the end of the fluro, I use a small Duo-lock snap. I prefer the swivel and the snap in black.

Post Your Comment