Smart Stop Bobber Stop - Review

6/6/15 @ 9:40 AM
ORIGINAL POST
mooselegs
mooselegs
USER since 5/27/03
A short time ago I started a thread entitled "Slip Bobber - Need advice to prevent knot slippage". One of the suggestions was the Smart Stop Bobber Stop system which is available from Clearly Outdoors. So I ordered a bunch of the stops and a few of their Slip Lock Bobbers. This week, I finally got the opportunity to put them to the test...IMHO...here are my comments: They do attach easily to the line...good design with the little plastic tray. I then attached the bobber.... a little cumbersome trying to lock the snaps but did manage to get it done. The stop does have some gripping power on the braided line but not any more (perhaps even a bit less) than the old convention knot that I've been using for years. My biggest gripe....they do hang up on the rod guides, which impedes getting good distance on the cast. As the day wore on, I became more and more frustrated with this system. My conclusion....I'm not impressed. The Smart Stop is ok for a back up system but not as my "go to" rig. I will continue to use the old traditional knot until something better comes along.....in the mean time......still searching......
Edited on 6/9/15 7:49 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
6/18/15 @ 11:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I guess I'm the polar opposite LOL. Maybe it depends on the type of braid. I love it personally, have had the same nylon knots for 3 years with no slipping, granted not all nylon knots are equal either. I switched after years of dealing with frayed line when moving from 30ft to 10 ft, and vice versa. I use 14lb braid, I think its spiderwire. Knots don't stick on the spool, can cast as far as I want. No stretch when setting the hook far from the boat. If I get a snag, I lose the mono leader/hook only. No chasing bobbers when the frayed mono snaps above the sinker. Throw in a bobber with metal inserts on both ends to avoid line cutting into it and causing it to stick, and I honestly can't think of the last time I had an issue.

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 8:54 AM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I agree with Treeshark. I often use heavier mono on bobber rods so you get a bigger diameter for the knot to grip (8lb or 10lb). If I want to use a lighter line for smaller fish then I will attach a swivel about 18" to 3' above the hook. I put the weight (if required) above the swivel). Then from the swivel down to hook you can run whatever line you desire. This gives you good grip with your knot and lighter line if you are fishing clear water or line sensitive fish.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 12:35 PM
ezturn
ezturn
USER since 9/4/12
I was referring to the Dawg Bone stoppers. I really did have problems with them. I will check on the Gizzmo's and give them a try. Thanks for the info Big Musky.

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 9:21 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
Gizmo's are not the same as dawg bones, you obviously have not tried them because they do not cause line fraying

Post Your Comment
6/10/15 @ 8:19 AM
ezturn
ezturn
USER since 9/4/12
As far as I can see the Gizzmo is the same as Dawg Bone plastic stoppers. They do work better than most others but be aware when using with braid they can cause the fibers to separate.I was using them in 16 - 25 ft for ice fishing with 4 lbs Fireline after mutiple adjustments the line started to come apart.

Post Your Comment
6/9/15 @ 7:46 AM
mooselegs
mooselegs
USER since 5/27/03
BigMusky12:

Unfortunately I did not purchase the Gizzmo Bobber Stop; I was hesitant to do so because of the small lip of plastic in front of the hole....it gives an appearance that that lip would snag on the rod guide... But, now I have nothing to lose. They are inexpensive so perhaps that will be my next purchase.....

Can I get them at a Gander Mt. store? I will be heading north today then passing through Wausau...might just make a stop at Gander to see if they have them......

LUV2HNT: you are correct, I should have done a better job on the research side.... Another lesson learned in life.....

Edited on 6/9/15 7:52 AM
Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 8:54 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09
Thanks for the review- I've thought about trying these as well, I appreciate the insight (and the saved $ and trouble).

Braid is good for a lot of things, but IMO it's not a great line for a slip bobber rig. I like 8lb Trilene XL mono for slips, the 4 and even 6lb line has noticeably more knot slip issues.

Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 11:51 AM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03
Kind of saw that coming Moose. Sorry, I did not search it quicker for you. Please, in the future, research before you buy. Everyone not happy with a product will post it somewhere on the NET with their frustration. Once you have multiple same stories you know it's not just 1 person not knowing what's up.

Post Your Comment
6/8/15 @ 8:45 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
did you buy the ones I told you to? those work

Post Your Comment