SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Silver "Copper" Line, Seaguar Smackdown vs Power Pro

2/15/19 @ 3:25 PM
INITIAL POST
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

I recently saw that copper fishing line comes in a silver color too.  It's still called copper line though...  

Also saw that Seaguar makes a braided line called "Smackdown".  The diameter is substantially smaller than Power Pro.

I really don't know anything about either of these and am looking for thoughts, facts, actual experience, etc on these things.

Thanks,

Fish Repellant

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
3/16/20 @ 2:07 PM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

After giving a few new things a try this year, here is what I found:

Smackdown - AWESOME for casting/jigging, but almost too much flex.  PP is a little stiffer and less tangles (goods/bads on both lines really)

Silver "Copper" - much easier to use that Copper "Copper".  A little stiffer so it doesn't get tangled on the spool as easily.  I seemed to catch more on the Copper line though (not sure why).  

I consistently ran 100, 200, 300 and 400 copper lines and I also ventured to the Leadcore route this year too; running 3, 5, 7 and 10 colors.  Maybe it was just me, but while I had continued success each outing, my concerns are:

- Less fish per trip than previous years

- Substantially more tangles (per combo and with other lines) than previous years

- Longer deployment of set up than previous years

- Tiring letting out all of those L O N G lines

- Decreased flexibility; by setting up so specifically, I needed to add more rods and reels (if I found fish shallow or deep, I wasn't able to change rods to match that depth like when I was only using snap weights)

With that said, I am considering trying a combo of old and new ways.  Setting up rods with shorter Copper/Leadcore lengths (thinking 100 & 200 Copper, 3 , 5 Leadcore…) and then utilizing snap weights to get deeper.  I'm hoping to shorten my concerns list and put more enjoyment back into my outings.  

Hope this helps others and as always, I'm open to any input/suggestions.

3/11/20 @ 5:20 PM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

we cut all the copper line off and replaced it  with weighted steel line.  The steel line is more user friendly. If you

3/10/20 @ 11:53 PM
cnrwi
User since 4/1/12

Go to tackle warehouse and read reviews.  I like power pro. Very fray resistant. Some other braids are too soft for the fishing I do. Once they start to fray they catch too much water.

3/7/20 @ 8:34 AM
jemstone90
jemstone90
User since 7/7/15

Having tried a number of lines Siglon makes a braid that has a smaller diameter than anything else I have tried and will out cast all of them to include Nanofil (which is GREAT). I put 165 yards of 16 Lbs. on an ulta-lite reel and it came no where near filling the reel. It's the best reason to put on half a reel of cheap mono  before putting on the braided.

Some Quality Fishing Lines

3/20/19 @ 11:17 AM
Lkittle97
User since 5/30/18
I'll add a line to the comparison, anybody ever use Gliss?  I haven't seen it in stores in a while but it used to be at the old Gander Mountain. 
3/20/19 @ 9:56 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Well....while comparing, thoughts on Power Pro Maxcuatro?

Has smaller diameter and claims to be stronger (just what I'm looking for!)

Thoughts?

3/5/19 @ 4:20 PM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08

Smackdown looked really good and was excited about it.

I was going to go with 30# PP and wanted the 300 yard spools. I asked the Seaguar reps about 300 yard spools of Smackdown and they said it was only  available in 150 yard spools.

Wanted to fill the reel up with the line not just half way fill the trolling reel.

3/1/19 @ 9:40 AM
fishrepellant
User since 3/25/10

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ve gotten a spool of both and will see what happens.   Iagree that the copper line is a pain to let out, but after reading and watching a few videos, seems best practice to let the drag control the deployment.  Worth a shot right. Thanks again!

2/18/19 @ 9:23 AM
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
User since 9/25/17

I started using Smackdown last summer and have been very pleased with it.  I've also had excellent luck with PP and Suffix.

2/17/19 @ 9:12 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

The silver coated copper is normally called super copper. It is somewhat stiffer then regular copper. It feeds though and tangles less then regular copper line. I had been using Morgan’s tackle co silver coated copper wire. Allot of people are starting to switch to torpedos weighted steel line. Same principle as copper. But it does not tangle together like copper. I not going to use copper anymore. I use  the weighted steel instead. You have to be very careful deploying copper otherwise you get a reel snarl. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE