SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Shimano Reels-Heads-up

7/27/17 @ 8:42 AM
INITIAL POST
wini
User since 3/27/06

I just receive a Shimano reel back from Shimano, which I had sent to them for repairs. Spinning reel came back unrepaired with a letter indicating Shimano only has parts for reels up to five years old.

Very disappointed in Shimano. Five years is not a long time and in my experience is about the time a reel may have a problem. I am happy the manufacturers of my car, furance, appliances and tools do not not have such a five year parts policy. No more Shimano reels  for me.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
8/22/17 @ 9:00 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Curious,  what broke on the reel... 

8/21/17 @ 6:15 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15

That is a bummer.. I have several of the old Shimano reels in face a box full.. Some work some don't if you were close I am sure we could find the part needed for you. Call Bass Pro shop in Springfield and they do reel repair and ask them if they can fix it.. If not go buy yourself some Lew's reels they back their product real good.

8/1/17 @ 10:51 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Check him out, I've bought hard to find parts from him before. He also does repairs and is really a good guy.

https://www.matsreelrepair.com/

7/27/17 @ 9:08 PM
J-theFisherman
User since 1/29/15

That's a bummer. Companies are always changing and replacing their reels with new updated models, and then they stop making parts for older models. Maybe you can get lucky and find some parts on ebay or something and try fixing it yourself. Spinning reels aren't very complicated and aren't very difficult to disassemble and reassemble and repair. But hey, if that reel is history, I'd still say you got your moneys worth with 5+ years of fishing with it. Nothing lasts forever, it's just time to buy a new spinning reel. I personally love daiwa. Some of the best spinning reels for the money and they have great service.

7/27/17 @ 3:32 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have gotten parts for older Abu Garcia reels through their customer service site.  Nothing older than 15 or so years but older than 5.

7/27/17 @ 3:13 PM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
Before you buy another reel, better find out if there are ANY companies who carry parts for reels that are over 5 years old.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE