Sahara smoother than Symetre?

12/31/15 @ 10:20 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Bigmil
Bigmil
USER since 10/28/15
Hey everyone I've been wanting a to buy a new spinning reel recently so I went to the store and was looking at symetres and saharas. I've had saharas before. Great reels, although they sometimes bind. Anyways, I tried 4 different symetres (the floor models in sizes 4000, and 2500) and 2 new symetres straight out of the box. To be honest they all seemed to have a little rasp and grind to them. I wasn't very impressed. I know tons of people who rave about the symetre and it has a loyal following. Anyways, I picked up the floor model sahara (4000) and it was butter smooth! I was impressed. Shouldn't the symetres be smother than the sahara? Or was the sahara just more broken in?( some guys say there should be no breaking in period with new reels)Thanks for your feedback.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
1/20/16 @ 6:12 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
denesox nailed it - the Supreme at $99 has performance and light weight that most reels don't see until double the price.

We currently sell way more Pfleugers than anything, and almost nothing but happy anglers with them.

I keep looking at spec's of other reels to add to the store, and most of them just don't match the Pfleugers at the same price points.

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 7:14 PM
Mr.Pinch
Mr.Pinch
USER since 5/17/15
I don't like that the Sahara is noticeably heavier than a symmetry. I haven't ever found a better reel for the money than the symetry

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 1:40 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
Symetre is and should be smoother. I've had exactly one single Shimano spinning reel that gave me non-stop issues...a sahara. It went back to Shimano 3 times, problem never fixed, I just gave up on the reel and now it sits. I have a feeling the issue is with the composite that the reel housing is made of, it just allows for too much flex, and over time I always get this strong resistance when reeling (without load). Drives me nuts. Symetre is a nicer reel that will last longer IME.

I will say, if you are going to spend $99 on a reel, do yourself a favor and look at the Pflueger supreme. Lighter than the higher end Shimanos, high speed gear ratio, and butter smooth in every way. Its one of, if not the best spinning reel for the money I've seen. It compares favorably with other spinning reels costing 2-3 times as much.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 9:21 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
Don't know what stores are in your area, but in any case, Shimano products typically don't go on sale, per se, whether ar Cabela's (where I work), Bass Pro, Gander, or wherever see FTC: Manufacturer-imposed Requirements.

If you're also in he market for a rod, however, you may be able to save quite a bit Ina rod/reel combo, for example: Shimano® Symetre/Cabela's Fish Eagle® 50 Spinning Combo.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 4:45 PM
Bigmil
Bigmil
USER since 10/28/15
Thanks for all your feedback. I went to a different store and tried the symetres and they were definitely smoother there than at the first place! Wow symetre is a nice reel. Hopefully it will go on sale soon.I think theres always some big sale in the spring isnt there?

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 12:36 PM
'da Coach
'da Coach
USER since 12/23/08
"Shouldn't the Symetres be smother than the Sahara? Or was the Sahara just more broken in?

IMO, the Symetre should most definitely run smoother than a Sahara. For $20 more, it ought'a!

Primary differences between the two: The Symetre has 4 S-ARB bearings, the Sahara has 3. The Symetre has a cast aluminum reel body (except SY500SL), while the Sahara has a composite (graphite) body. Line retrieve rate for the Sahara (6-15" per crank) is lower than the Symetre (21-36"). Gear ratios are the same (and yes, I don't understand how the line retrieve rates can be that different, but that's what it says on the Shimano web site).

Maybe that store got a bad batch of Symetre's, I dunno. If you end up going with the Sahara, though, not to worry, it's still a very nice reel.

And yes, at $60, the President has been and remains the best selling reel in the industry (and has been for at least the last fifteen years!)

Post Your Comment
12/31/15 @ 2:01 PM
Bigmil
Bigmil
USER since 10/28/15
Yeah. I have an older sahara and a pflueger president..I might go with a pflueger president limited edition.

Post Your Comment
12/31/15 @ 1:19 PM
waterbugg
waterbugg
USER since 6/13/09
I've not tried Symmetres but do own two Saharas & two pflueger presidents. I find the Presidents to be a better reel for the $$.

Post Your Comment