SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Rod holder layout

2/17/18 @ 3:19 PM
INITIAL POST
doohop65
User since 2/23/10

A buddy gave me 6 Cabela’s flash mount rod holders for my boat and I need to figure out where to place them. I have looked at a lot of videos and pictures online but nobody lays out quite like mine.

The gunwale is 5 inches wide but the inside has the inside has the tube running wires so I can’t come in to far. 

How was back back would you start and how far apart would you be? 

I have attached a picture so folks can see what I am working with. There is 90inchrs from the back of the baat to the console start.

If I had only 4 holders I would probably put one between the driver and passenger seat and one behind the passenger seat. With 6 I don’t know how to put them in.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
6/22/18 @ 9:32 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

If you are going troll a lot, I would make a trolling board to go across the stern and attach them to the board. My trolling board goes on with a couple of bolts so I can take it off if needed. It is way easier to tend lines when they all are right in front of you. Mrt.

6/17/18 @ 6:34 AM
Major Mark
Major Mark
User since 5/20/05

I personally don't think you'd be able to access the rear ones safely/easily.  Too far back & too far to reach over stuff.  You need to have immediate & swift access to the rods upon seeing the boards get hit.  IF you have no rear casting deck that 2 could "fire" straight out the back (dead stick, no planer boards), then I'd consider forward of the console/windshield for the 3rd set.  I have Cabella 360 holders which are on 8" riser stems.  Cabellas rod holders are made by Scottys (or used to be).  Scottys makes add-on riser stem adapters.  They also make surface mount adapters that could also be purchased separately.  IF I was you, I'd invest in surface mounts and stem adapters.  You be able to get closer to the inner edge of the gunnels allowing you to troll with the rods more upright (important for boards).  Take a holder with you if a store is close to make sure the spline end fits appropriately.

6/16/18 @ 3:03 PM
doohop6565
User since 7/27/10

Getting ready to pop some holes here. I marked where I am thinking. Let me know your thoughts. 

I am a little concerned about putting the one so far in the back but like the fact it’s out of the sitting area so it does t take up space. Will it be an issue with reaching for fish?

The middle rod holder I am thinking about putting just inside the back beam on the boat. I figure this will allow for people to sit looking backwards without having the rod in the way.

the last rod I am planning to place behind the driver seat. I figure the drive seat will always be forward and it allows the seat behind room if they want to face forward.

let me kow if I am crazy. These are flush mount cabelas/Scottie’s 

2/19/18 @ 4:14 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

You can get around the clearance issue if youbpick up some extentions.  That way it doesnt matter much at all.  You would probably need at least one per side if you are runnning all boards. 

2/19/18 @ 8:26 AM
doohop65
User since 2/23/10

These will be used for trolling.  I have 6 trolling rods and bought a bunch of salmos on the fleet Farm sale. 

I also just bought 6 off shore planer boards. 

I have been told to run them inside but I will not be able get much past 1/2 way in due to the cord tube. Will this be a huge issue? 

Is putting one back by the fuel filter going to be too far to reach it will it work well back there?

2/19/18 @ 7:10 AM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

What are you trying to do with them?  Troll or something else?   If you are trolling i wouldnt be afrain to space them all out equally starting as far back as you can.  Also ypu are going to want them to be as close to the inside as you can to allow rods to be more upright without hitting the butt on the side of the boat.  Most relevant with planer boards. 

2/18/18 @ 1:27 PM
Terrific_tom
User since 6/9/08

I would use a track system to attach the rod holders. This will allow you to remove rod holders when you aren't using them. 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE