Rain Jacket or Suit

4/9/18 @ 12:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
MEMBER since 1/24/05

What's everyone using for rain gear?

Frogg Toggs, Compass 360, Under Armour, Frabill, Huk, Carhart, etc.

My old vinyl Bass Pro Shops ($15) rainsuit finally ripped apart.  

I'm not looking for anything expensive, just for the "just-in-case" moment but won't rip apart. I don't fish in the rain that often.

Edited on 4/9/18 12:36 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
6/16/18 @ 6:51 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

JamesD, you beat me to the punch, as it were. me and Phoolette bought ours (same thing, same place) in 2006 and they are still serving us well. We have never gotten wet or even damp with them on and, we have been in some real toad stranglers!!!

Also, with those little "pouches" they come in...they pack away great!

Post Your Comment
6/15/18 @ 9:17 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I'm gonna say that my f-togs pulled open right down the backside of the pants on the second outing. You mention Bass Pro vinyl... give their waterproof nylon shell, hooded jacket and elastic pull up pants a chance. It's way more packable than a vinyl suit. I think I paid $30 for the top and 20 something for the pants. Worked great today during my rainy sail trip. I picked mine up at the Gurnee store so I got a chance to actually try them on before purchasing.

Post Your Comment
6/13/18 @ 8:44 PM
splashman
splashman
USER since 6/26/01

Frogg Togg Toad Skins......

Post Your Comment
6/11/18 @ 8:49 PM
mattw
mattw
USER since 5/6/16

I got a Stearns jacket and pants that I have had for more that a few years now and works great and keeps me dry . Didn't cost a lot of money if still available somewhere 

Post Your Comment
6/11/18 @ 6:23 PM
Jared
Jared
MEMBER since 7/22/01

I've got a Frabill F2 surge suit. Bibs/Jacket

Sorry, I am not paying $500 for rain gear that may be used a few times a year.

That being said, it sucks. Under 2 hours in a light rain and I was getting wet through the suit on my upper arms and shoulders.

Edited on 6/11/18 6:25 PM
Post Your Comment
6/11/18 @ 4:32 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

I have used my Cabelas Guidewear suit for to many years to count.  It is Gortex, and will probably need replacing within the next year or so.  Not loking forward to that.  Love anything Gortex, but others have now come up with similar.  What ever you do, make sure you get bibs and not pants

Post Your Comment
5/21/18 @ 10:02 AM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

I've used Frogg Toggs for years.  If you get a suit, make sure you get the bibs, not the pants.  Nothing worse than rain down the ol' plummers' crack when you bend over.

They are relatively cheap, stow easily.

They generally run rather large.  Makes it easy to wear layers underneat.  Durability is my only knock on them.  If you don't have any sharp edges on your boat seats they will last several years.  Just don't try and cross any barbwire fences. 

I'm on my second suit in 15 years.  I still wear my old suit for picking nightcrawlers in the rain.

Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 6:19 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

Frogg Togg toad skins stuff is my summer suit when I know it is going to rain.  I also have a super cheap Frogg Togg suit wadded up in dry bag for emergencies.  

I use my striker climate bibs and Kast gortex jacket for spring and fall

Edited on 4/12/18 6:22 AM
Post Your Comment
4/12/18 @ 5:11 AM
fullbarrel
fullbarrel
USER since 6/4/03

I love frogg togs.   Last year we sat in a down pour and when it stopped i was dry.  2 other guys one in gortex the other in a guide series suit where wet

Post Your Comment
4/9/18 @ 5:24 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

I bought an onyx suit. The pants were 100 and the jacket 125. Haven’t got any rain to test it yet.  I’ve bought those frog toggs that Walmart sells and they’re junk. The seams rip pretty much instantly. 

Edited on 4/9/18 5:26 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts