planer boards

4/27/16 @ 11:31 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Mr.Pinch
Mr.Pinch
USER since 5/17/15
I'm looking to buy new planer boards. Yellow birds, or offshores? I haven't used yellow birds, but they are a lot cheaper. Any info would help.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 31 Posts
2/18/17 @ 8:22 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01

Haven't used  Yellow Birds in years, Off Shore work much better and easier but about 3 times the price.  I used Stren Gold 12 lb., tied to about 2ft. of 10lb. spider wire for leader line to cranks. Gold makes it easy to see line in water. I have heavy action rods for the planner boards with heavier duty reels. Straight lining works well with open face reels and medium action rods.  Usually  run 5 rods, 3 straight lines and 2 planners, that keeps my partner busy. (11 year old grandson)  Far from an expert but we've have learned the drill.

Edited on 2/18/17 8:26 PM
Post Your Comment
2/18/17 @ 9:37 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Borneo Fish,

You can use spinning gear, but it is not optimal.  I wouldn't hesitate to tell you you can try trolling as you indicated, before buying long trolling rods and reels.  You may have to de-twist your line after a long day with lots of action, but that is better than spending the money first before knowing if its a route you want to take.

I occasionally use a spinning rod with a planer board without issue.  Just make sure the line clips you have work with the line on your reel.  When learning, I hooked up new Off-shores on to 12lb Powerpro, and the line slipped right through the clips.   The packaged clips that come on boards are (or were) normally tensioned for 12lb mono....at least they were when I bought my gear a few years back.  Can't be sure today, haven't bought one for a while...

Post Your Comment
2/18/17 @ 9:36 AM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15

Yes you can use mini boards with a spinning setup. Medium action rod and 10 lb mono would be ideal. 

Post Your Comment
2/17/17 @ 10:16 PM
Born2Fish85
Born2Fish85
USER since 1/9/15

I'm looking to do some trolling this year it will be my 1st time. Can I just use mini planer boards and a spinning rod? I want to make sure I like it 1st before I put alot of money into new trolling rods and planer boards. Any info would be great.

Post Your Comment
6/27/16 @ 6:18 PM
Bullman
Bullman
USER since 4/10/15

Thanks, I assume you use mono then from the braid to the lure.  What length do you typically use for the leader?

Post Your Comment
6/27/16 @ 9:47 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06
yes it would be too light for salmon.  I didn't realize you were gonna try to use the same rig for salmon and walleye.  If that's the case, you're gonna have to go with like a 30lb suffix 832 braid. 

Post Your Comment
6/27/16 @ 7:04 AM
Bullman
Bullman
USER since 4/10/15

That would work for the walleye, but wouldn't that be a little light for salmon. Don't know if I can get by with the same rig for both Michigan and Bago?

Post Your Comment
6/27/16 @ 5:49 AM
teamstratos219
teamstratos219
USER since 9/4/06

tough to beat 10lb trilene XT for performance and value

Post Your Comment
6/27/16 @ 5:41 AM
Bullman
Bullman
USER since 4/10/15

Looking to run the off shore planner boards and wanted to know what line to use, mono or braid. Looking to use the same boards and rods for walleye up in bago.

Post Your Comment
6/22/16 @ 6:23 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02

I finally got out the copper lines yesterday and gave Off Shore's new SST Pro Mag Planer a test. I ran 300' 45# copper with Brad's cut plug and a Big Al flasher and it handled it much better than the standard size in-line board. Bonus was it took a 20# Lake Trout and it didn't bury the board.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 31 Posts