Planer Board Rods

1/11/16 @ 9:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
What planer board rods do you use? What do you like or hate about them?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
1/13/16 @ 6:14 PM
daleracefan
daleracefan
MEMBER since 3/27/02
Cabelas, 7' 6" rods, 10# big game line for the last 7 years! no complaints!!

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 5:56 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I use mono on all my board rods. Just because I can then use the precision trolling books. And for the simple fact that's what the guys that taught me how to troll used. I usually use 10lb Berkeley because it's cheap on a big spool and because I think the extra give in mono helps along with the longer rods to absorb the shock of the waves, fish head shakes, and prevents hook pulls. I will most likely be switching to 12lb this year as long as you hit a line with .08 line diameter (I think) you can use the precision trolling books. So it's 12lb Berkeley xt or 10lb big game each line has a different diameter in mono which affects the depth.

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 7:40 AM
Grey Beard
Grey Beard
USER since 1/27/02
I have a bunch of Okuma rods in lengths from 7-10' I use for leadcore and copper. They have held up well and handle the Lake MI fish and my Off Shore boards with ease. I bought different lengths and then put say full core on an 8' and 3 color on 10' because of where I would place then in rod holders. That way easier for 3 color to clear full core.

Honestly have had more issues with broken guides on my more expensive Shimano Taloras. I purchased some of them on EBay and 4 in a bundle for under $90 with shippping.

Grey Beard

Post Your Comment
1/12/16 @ 7:08 PM
Trophy_Taker
Trophy_Taker
USER since 4/27/08
Ugly Stick MH 7'6" rods. Perfect for trolling, soft tip, and easy to get the board off when you're by yourself since the rods are a little shorter. Use them for musky and walleye trolling for a few years and have had no issues yet.

Post Your Comment
1/12/16 @ 6:20 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
USER since 8/7/15
I have quite a few Cabelas rods. I think I'm up to 26. Some have mono, some braid and several lead core. They're all planer board rods and they've been good so far.

Post Your Comment
1/12/16 @ 4:28 PM
amstel239
amstel239
USER since 12/28/01
Do you guys run mono or a braid with the cabela rods?

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 9:40 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
Used 7 ft medium and medium heavy action bait caster rods for a long time because I had them around. They work just fine but moved to the cabelas 8'0 mh telescoping rods now and love them. The biggest differences are the moderate action which I think has helped keep fish pinned up on the way in and the added length helps keep the line up when trying to really send the boards out. The telescoping feature also allows me to keep all the trolling rods in the boat in rod lockers so they are always with me. Think they telescope to 6'8 which my middle lockers are 7ft. The only draw back is when you have a big fish on that's not behaving by the back of the boat it becomes alittle hard to control with the longer rod and trying to net at the same time. But the good defiantly out ways the bad. Also those rods I got brand new last year for 30 a piece on sale so you can't beat that. This is also just experiences with walleye so it may be different for salmon or musky.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 9:38 PM
musky1011
musky1011
USER since 7/4/05
Daiwa, or cabelas., cheap.. Work great

Post Your Comment