okuma rtx or trios spinning reels

4/6/15 @ 7:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
drkstr71
drkstr71
USER since 6/15/01
Looking at buying one or the other of these reels to pair with a st.croix 7' panfish series. Will be using the set up mainly for drop shotting panfish. Never owned an okuma and cant find anywhere in milwaukee to try em out. Does anyone own one? What are your opinions? Am I better off sticking with my old stand by pfluger?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
9/14/15 @ 9:26 PM
Brian Hammarsten
Hammar
USER since 4/5/10
I would stick to Pflueger. I have a trip spinning reel. There is a screw that holds the foam grip onto the reel crank. The screw feel out and got lost so I ended up glueing the foam grip on. Also the reel started to crank hard after a season of use. Not sure why. Reel was $90 or so and its ready for the garbage can.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 5:27 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
Back a few years ago I checked Okuma out...I disregarded them because every spinning reel I checked out was an absolute tank...compared to my Pflueger supreme XT, they felt like I was holding a chainsaw.

Glad I happened upon this thread, the RTX looks like a great reel, and its actually lighter than my Pflueger and carries a high speed gear ratio, which is the other thing I look for in a spinning reel. I may have to try one of these out this season. Thanks guys for the input. Wink

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 11:25 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
I knew you would buddy! You made the right choice for sure! Enjoy your new reel.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
4/27/15 @ 2:57 PM
drkstr71
drkstr71
USER since 6/15/01
Ended up with the rtx and so far the two times i've used it i love it. Paired with my St. Croix panfish rod the whole set up is less than 10oz. I wish i was as happy with the line, i tried seagur fluro 4lb and have had nothing but backlash after backlash. Going to go back to suffix then life will be sweet.

Edited on 4/27/15 3:18 PM
Post Your Comment
4/23/15 @ 11:29 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
Agree 100% with Tim, Okuma is doing a lot of things right and some better than most. The current offerings that I have played with are in a class all themselves at every price point. You will not find a better $100 reel than the RTX. Some of the new casting reels are just remarkable too. In addition to a pair of RTX, I also have a Cerros, Citrix and Komodo. Any questions on them, please don't hesitate to ask.

(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
4/22/15 @ 1:23 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Okuma makes some sweet reels. Okuma got into the reel business because they used to manufacture parts for other reel companies. They said hey if we can do this for others we can do it for ourselves. Look at the Epixor, it is a 10 ball bearing reel, compare it to other 10 ball bearing reels see which one feels smoother and which one is cheaper. They are hard to find because there are lots of places that are strictly pro shimanno or pflueger. I am not form the Milwaukee area, but I believe Gander Mountain carries them.

Post Your Comment
4/8/15 @ 6:35 PM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
I have an Okuma RTX on my desk. I haven't got it wet yet but... It feels solid, its smooth and VERY light. My 30 size weighs 6.6oz according to the box, on a postal scale, I measured 6.5 full of line just now. It feels very much like a Stradic Ci4+ but half the price. It wont be my last RTX and definitely not my last Okuma reel. They are doing something right.

(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment