New Walleye Spinning Crankbait Rod

3/28/16 @ 5:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER since 5/17/01
I am looking for a new spinning crankbait rod for walleyes. I was thinking 6'9" to 7' moderate action rod... I love St. Croix rods but do not see anything that really fits that mold. Anyone have any advice? I typically use braid for casting crankbaits. Thanks for your help!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts
4/27/16 @ 3:30 PM
wiel0059
wiel0059
USER since 6/20/14
7'2 ML (Moderate) Muse Gold from 13 Fishing. I use it for light cranks like Shad Raps and a long list of other things (drop-shots, weightless flukes, etc). It may be more than you're looking to spend, but this is the best finesse rods I've ever used.

Post Your Comment
4/25/16 @ 9:19 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I use exclusively Okuma a rods and reels, a sponsor of this site too. They have a Dead Eye series designed exclusively for walleye fishing both know spinning, casting and trolling rods. They are a price point Rod at $100 bucks or less with an I'm blank and lifetime warranty. Yes you pay $20 shipping for a replacement rod. They are sweet rods.

Post Your Comment
4/20/16 @ 1:17 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
i use my medium fast bass mojo spinning rod for throwing crankbaits for walleye

Post Your Comment
4/19/16 @ 8:42 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER since 5/17/01

I actually do use one frequently and will be giving them a call soon for a new rod!

They do make a great rod...

Post Your Comment
4/16/16 @ 4:33 AM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
Come on Darin ! You Know the best rod out there is Elk River Customs Wink I seen you give a couple away at the jambo when it was at Bago. surprised you have not tryed 1.

Post Your Comment
4/9/16 @ 7:22 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08
We make a 7'0" Medium, Moderate action spinning rod in our ER1 Walleye series. Designed to be a crankin' rod, it's one of our most popular, and some guys like it for jig & live bait too.

Let us know if we can help.

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
4/1/16 @ 4:42 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
thanks guys

it looks like the consensus is that a moderate to fast action is the accepted action for cranks, based on what power you need and the kind of baits you are throwing

my interpretation of how a fast/extra fast tip provides a shock absorber was OK, but for the wrong reasons, the faster action gives the rod a better ability to maintain tension on the line, but, as you guys are saying, gives you faster access to the power of the rod... think that makes sense? hahaha

here's a link with a lot of info, and links to videos with the rod designers, etc..... while on a bass related site, the science probably applies to whatever species you are targeting

http://www.bassfishermansguide.com/best-crankbait-rod/

discussion has definitely made me think harder about power and action and what the different aspects are...

cool beans

Post Your Comment
4/1/16 @ 4:19 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER since 5/17/01
Here is another link on rod action - http://fishmhx.com/rod-power-action/

Post Your Comment
4/1/16 @ 12:15 PM
3/31/16 @ 11:43 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
not sure Darin, without doing more research, I always thought a fast action meant the tip was a little more 'limber' or softer for lack of a better word, and the power of the rod, H, M, L, etc, or backbone would be more towards the middle of the rod to the butt...

but I maybe wrong

jerk baits get more strikes on slack, but most cranks you are reeling in ??

do like the discussion...always willing to learn

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts