New Model Humminbird Locators

2/19/14 @ 9:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
brewcrew20
brewcrew20
USER since 1/13/14
I am in the market for a new locator and I have decided that I would like to go with a Humminbird so I can use it with my Terrova motor. I am currently going back and forth between the 899ci HD SI and the 999ci HD SI. Other than the larger screen I have heard that the 999 comes with the HDSI transducer that is capable of 800kHz. Many people have said that after the purchased the 899 that they immediately purchased the HDSI transducer separately. I am wondering if the more powerful transducer is really worth it or not. Do you really get that much better of a return? If it is then I would just go ahead and get the better unit right away. Also, I plan on networking this unit with an 959ci HD since, from what I've been told, you can see the same thing that the SI unit can see.
Edited on 2/19/14 10:18 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
5/22/14 @ 3:44 PM
MuskieHunter930
MuskieHunter930
USER since 9/11/08
If you are looking for more info on the 859ci, check out this info segment on its use in the Fox River (Oshkosh).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5HnyDCrf38

Tight Lines. Stay Dry.

Post Your Comment
4/6/14 @ 8:06 PM
MuskieHunter930
MuskieHunter930
USER since 9/11/08
Well I just picked up the "new" Humminbird 859ci HD. Didn't see too much around the web on it for videos so I threw just this unboxing up.

Picked this baby up for $533.13 + tax so its decent on the pocket book and has everything I'm looking for, especially a two year warranty... its iPilot link compatible with the kota.

Tight Lines. Stay Dry.

Edited on 4/6/14 8:08 PM
Post Your Comment
3/22/14 @ 12:31 PM
SmallieReleaser
SmallieReleaser
MEMBER since 6/24/01
Have always used Lowrance, but will be putting a Humminbird 859 on the front of my Raptor 1850 and the 899 on the dash. For a slightly bigger display, didn't seem worth the extra dollars. the 7" screen will seem huge comapared to the 5" on my current locators.

SR

Post Your Comment
3/20/14 @ 3:52 PM
FishFinder87
FishFinder87
USER since 2/8/11
Depends on where you are using it. If you are going to be a few miles out on lake michigan, then get the 999 with transducer... if you are going to be fishing in under 80 feet 95% of the time, then there is no need for it, and get the 899. That's my 2 cents... And I agree 100% with previous poster...contact Minn kota and Humminbird directly for info.. Most retailers that sell them, while they do their best, are not trained that well on technical questions like which motor is compatible with which units etc. That's your best bet and you will know that your link works and will have the righ cables from the get go. At least find out from them directly what you need, then feel free to buy from where you feel comfortable or shop around. Thats my 2 cents anyway... coming from a retired outdoor shop salesman.

Post Your Comment
3/20/14 @ 1:03 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Contact Minnkota! I am going to be buying a Terrova US2 iPilot and I was wondering what locators were compatible with this motor as I have read in other online forums that some Humminbirds were messed up by the Terrova motor. After discussing with Minnkota, I found out that some down imaging (DI) models are not compatable with the Terrova with the US2. Those emails are at home, I could put them on there later today for you to read, but I'd reccomend you just contact them so you end up with the right product, as what you and I are trying to do is similar but may not be the same.

Edited on 3/20/14 1:04 PM
Post Your Comment