Navionics+

2/29/16 @ 4:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
I got an Elite 7ti locator. There is a ton of bells and whistles and plenty of options and accessories. I also purchased a Navionics+ mapping chip. I plugged it in and I was very disappointed when there was very poor graphics. To make a long story short, the Lowrance maps were far better. Navionics lets you live scan while fishing and download the lakes details and save them. So what you are doing is making your own map from a nearly blank chip. If you add it to "community", the information is shared with others that have scanned different waters and you can get what they have found. It seems to me, that I paid $170 to download information in order to build maps for them. So if you are thinking about a map chip that is "plug and play", this is not the chip you want. However, if you want to create your own maps, this would be a very good way to go.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/22/16 @ 6:24 PM
KirtHt
KirtHt
USER since 8/31/12

You need to download the High Definition SonarChart layer to the card, the data that comes on the card is the base or Gold level mapping. The SonarChart layer is the mapping layer that Navionics updates when new mapping data is available the dynamic layer. Then every month or so you can update the SonarChart layer buy what is call the Freshest Data program. 

Here are some examples of the St Croix. You can view all of Navionics mapping online on the Navionics website on the web app they give you both views click on the sonar icon lower left 

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 7:57 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
There is a button on Navionics web site that made mention of it.

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 7:48 AM
slipery
slipery
USER since 1/30/11
Can I upgrade my Lake Maps Chip that I purchased back in the 90s ?

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 7:15 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
Make sure you have the elite 7 reading your chip. You need to go into options and select "fish n chips" or something like that. I have an elite 5 chirp on my kayak along with an old navionics+ chip that I update and I've also got into mapping smaller lakes using insight genesis (lowrance's version of making your own maps). Making your own maps is especially sweet on bodies of water where HD maps don't exist. Helped me catch some walleyes this winter by finding some structure nobody else knows about.

Post Your Comment
3/1/16 @ 7:03 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
I plugged the card reader into my computer, went 5o their web site, hidh lighted the area I wanted to down load and clocked start. After it was done, I put the chip into the locator, went to the area that in had high lighted and there was no change. I watched a ten minute you tube video that did a good job of explianing the procedure. They called it "customizing" the map to the correct contours of the water you are actually fishing. You can send it to the "community" and anyone can down load what you scanned and down loaded. That's why it seems like the fisherman are building their maps. You only have the free down load for one year. Then it is no longer a freebie after that. I have not checked the cost of down load I g after the first year.

Post Your Comment
2/29/16 @ 10:34 PM
burroak
burroak
USER since 6/26/01
Did you plug your chip into your computer and download data? When I did this it took about 1.5 hours to download all the information onto the chip. Then install in the locator and it should work.

Post Your Comment