Musky Trolling rods

10/3/16 @ 10:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
whats_in_a_name
whats_in_a_name
USER since 12/25/09

I would like to purchase a couple trolling rods for Musky fishing and would like to know what is recommended.  I see a lot of 8' 6" Medium action rods out there but do they have the backbone to handle a huge hit?  My thoughts were a 9' MH rod at the least but I haven't been trolling for these fish yet and need your help so I'm not wasting my money.  Please give me your thoughts.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
1/9/17 @ 6:39 AM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08

Sorry I have not been here in a while! 

A simple comparison for me is - a true musky trolling rod compared to a salmon rod is like when someone takes a heavy bass rod and calls it a musky rod - it will work, but not in the range or capacity of the real deal.

The ones we make are an advanced taper e-glass.  They have a LOT more backbone than a salmon rod to help the fish get hooked, but the top 1/3 or so is fairly soft.

You can "read" the tip - it will shake when pulling a 5"-8" crankbait, and when you pick up a weed it will stop shaking, so you know you need to pull in and clear your bait.

Will have a few of these at the Muskie shows in the next few weeks.  Stop by and see up!

Sorry I have not been by so long - time flies!

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
11/7/16 @ 11:36 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

Marc - i always respect your position on rods, can you provide some details on what differentiates a true musky rod from heavy salmon rod?  

Edited on 11/7/16 11:37 AM
Post Your Comment
10/14/16 @ 8:56 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc711
USER since 9/3/08

We have some excellent custom musky trolling rods in stock.  True musky trolling rods - not a heavy salmon rod.

They are not on our web site yet, but in stock at the store!  Give us a call or e-mail.

The 8'0" model is an EXCELLENT dual purpose trolling and sucker rod, with really good backbone - $169.00.  The 8'6" models are pure trolling.

(715) 339-4209
Post Your Comment
10/11/16 @ 12:29 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

You cannot beat the Shimano TDR rods.  Great price, great rods.  I use two of them for musky trolling and will probably order two more for next year.  9 footers.  You want them a little softer to absorb the hit, IMHO.  And as Big Musky said...they also make excellent sucker rods.

Post Your Comment
10/11/16 @ 8:48 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Okuma has two series of musk Rods, they have the SCT Musky and the EVX B Series rods.  The EVX series have been out for several years, they are a carbon rod with a lifetime warranty that ruin in price from $119 to $139.  They have teescoping rods from  H to XXH, and are up to 9' long.

The SCT series are new, same lifetime warranty, again carbon rod, from XH - XXH, length 8' 6" to 9'3.

The Okuma Rod warranty cost $19.99 you are paying for shipping to g et the rod delivered to your door.  Does not matter how you break it, they ask that you cut the rod apart near the lable send it to them, and they will send you a new rod for $19.99.

Okuma is definately worth a look.

Post Your Comment
10/3/16 @ 10:30 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

ShimanoTDR's 8'6" MH, $30 bucks each.   You can use them as sucker rods too. 

Post Your Comment