MORE
Fishing Equipment

Monofilament Line Twists

5/24/18 @ 1:36 PM
INITIAL POST
Nivek
User since 2/10/15

Hi,

I use mono line on spinning reels when bass fishing and the line twists are out of this world and occur very often.  Any recommendations for a line to use (where twists will be at a minimum) on spinning reels for bass/walleye?

Thanks for any information!

Kevin

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
8/18/18 @ 9:42 PM
Eric5313
User since 4/13/15

It's a very strange myth that closing the bail by turning the handle causes line twist.  People who believe this are not visualizing the mechanics of how the line goes on to the spool, and this includes a lot of pros (who are good fishermen but downright lousy at picturing mechanical things).  I challenge anyone to describe the mechanism that would cause this.  Whether the bail catches the line during the time that the head makes a tiny fraction of a turn or while it's stationary makes no difference (the actual line-engagement happens faster than the blink of an eye, so the motion of the reel head during that moment is minuscule, and don't forget that the head is going to continue that same twisting action during the whole retrieve).  I haven't had line get twisted on a spinning reel even a single time in almost 50 years, and until a few years ago I didn't even have modern reels which offered the manual bail-closing option (and by force of habit, I still close the bail on all my new reels by turning the handle, every time).  The last time I had the line get twisted was when I was 11 years old and I didn't know better than to turn the handle when a huge fish is pulling drag.  Lures that spin when retrieved are the other cause.

As to how you spool your reel with line, I run the line off the factory spool in a non-twist fashion with the spool rotating on an axle of some kind.  Yes, that means the line twists going onto the reel one twist for every new lap onto the spool, but it untwists by the same amount as it comes off the spool again when you cast.  The idea of having the line come off the factory spool from the side, in a direction that counteracts the rotation of the reel head, makes sense on the face of things, but since the factory spool is always so much larger than the reel spool, it won't ever be possible to get the two twisting actions to cancel each other out.  And if you did get it right, the line would be untwisted while on the spool but would take on one twist for every turn while coming off the spool during a cast, and is that what you want, a line that's twisted while it's out there working for you?  It's not what I want.  I want the line to be free of twists while it's out there working, and I don't care if it's slightly twisted while safely stored on the reel spool.  So, letting the line twist one turn per rotation of the head going onto the reel and then to untwist one turn for every wrap of the line coming off while casting works just fine.

Now, if you routinely catch really large fish that pull huge amounts of line against the drag, that's a situation where the line coming off the spool doesn't untwist to counteract the twist that took place while being wound onto the spool in the first place.  We've all had fish take out short lengths of line but I've never met a fishermen who catches fish that take out similar lengths of line as the lengths being cast.  But if that happened, it would create a line-twist problem before too long.  In that case (or in any other case where line twist is unavoidable), dragging a free line behind the boat for a while, then reeling it in, will take care of the problem.

Finally, don't confuse line memory with line twist.  They are not the same thing.  People who use very stiff mono with persistent memory are likely to have problems that some might interpret as line twist. 

8/16/18 @ 7:08 AM
tutor
tutor
User since 6/24/07

a piece of leather held tight around or pinched against line as you spool also works takes away twist or coil memory. When you have a coil within the last few feet of line try pulling line through leather pinch tight between fingers / I often use a leather glove this works try it.

8/16/18 @ 1:01 AM
woodyeckes
User since 3/17/14

I checked out Mike Iconelli finesse bass fishing  video from Marathon county library.  In it he states the rotation of the line coming off the bulk spook should be opposite of the way it is being wound onto the reel.

Spool clockwise/reel counterclockwise

He also recommended using a cloth with silicone spray to tension the line while being reeled on. 

He also manually closed the bail after casting and tensioned the line coming into the reel.

He also changed and checked his line very often for nicks or abrasions.

8/7/18 @ 8:31 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I use Shimono reels that have “ Line Management System”.  Very little line twist problems . Like below, don’t reel with the drag going out.   CARPIO 

8/6/18 @ 5:06 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

mig good post I had a reel years ago that casted like a spinning reel but you had to move the handle to the side like a bait caster,talk about line twist,you had to use a GOOD ball bearing to use it at all. 

8/6/18 @ 10:43 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

When spooling any spinning reel, consider that the diameter of the filler spool and reel spool are different by about a 3:1 margin. Wind around 15 cranks, stop and check for twists/curls. If the curls are tight, flip the spool and wind another 10-15 cranks, stop and check for twists/curls. Generally I find that I can get ~30 cranks with the filler spool facing one way and ~10 the other way. Unless done with a machine, you can not fill the reel spool without twists without flipping the filler spool several times.

If the line is twisted on the reel spool from filling it or just from fishing, I will let about 75 yards of bare line off the back of a moving boat. While moving at a moderate speed just let it trail in the water for a few minutes to straighten back out. Then wind it back on under some tension. 

Edit: If you’re getting excessive twists while fishing, there are basically two causes. One is reeling against the drag. If you can’t reel in line, don’t crank the reel handle. The other is the lure spinning. Use a good quality (Spro) snap swivel or barrel swivel. 

8/6/18 @ 8:13 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Agree that it may have been spooled up incorrectly. When I just did my daughter's new rod, I started with the label up and it was very apparent that it wasn't right. Flipped it over and it's good to go. Honestly it seems I'm always spooling up with the spool of line label down. 

8/4/18 @ 7:15 PM
weedless2112
User since 5/18/15

Try incorporating a barrel swivel some where in the line. It might mean a little extra tying but it will help with the twist. Or use a leader if possible

7/31/18 @ 4:06 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Closing the bail with the handle does not cause line twist,it may cause blupers but not line twist.Its ben only the last 30 years that reels were made to do it by hand if you wanted to.The old green and tan abu cardnals, a very good reel you had turn the handle,the old mitchells and the dam quick also. I never got any more twists than I do now.Reeling when the drag is going out does cause line twist though.

7/31/18 @ 2:56 PM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

Late post, when I  fish with spinning reels and had line put on I go to a lake and leave all the  line out with nothing attached and reel it back in, doing this will take out any twists, if you vertical jig, or jig, tie on a two way small swivel and leader line a cpl feet for your jig or what ever.

5/25/18 @ 11:51 AM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

I've had a spinning reel that had a froze bail roller.  That can twist line while retrieving......

5/24/18 @ 3:10 PM
Major Mark
Major Mark
User since 5/20/05

another thought, never EVER lock the spool back in by turning the handle.  Manually set the bail closed with your hand.  That will help tremendously with line twist issues.

5/24/18 @ 2:44 PM
Nivek
User since 2/10/15

1984....excellent.  I will give that a shot (the spooling of the line).  Makes sense.  Thanks again...much appreciated!

5/24/18 @ 2:30 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

You are probably spooling it on upside down?  You're supposed to lay the spool flat on the ground with the label facing up.  I never have issues with mono on spinning tackle and I've used several brands.  Flouro is a different story.  If that doesn't help then you could try stretching your line by tying it to a tree or something and walking it out completely and reeling it back in.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE