manufactured date of fishing line?

7/9/14 @ 6:10 PM
ORIGINAL POST
woodyeckes
woodyeckes
USER since 3/17/14
Does anyone know how to tell the manufactured date of fishing line? Thanks for your input. Woody eckes
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
8/17/14 @ 7:44 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
The code is on the label with the UPC on it which is visible from the outside of the package. I find it hard to believe that a major store had line that was 5+ years old considering that they turn their line at least 4 times per year.

Post Your Comment
8/17/14 @ 6:21 PM
port1042
port1042
MEMBER since 2/11/12
Thanks for the information. I had 4 filler spools in by bag so I checked them. All were manufactured late last year. 2 in Aug of 2013, one in Sept. and one in Oct. It must have been fresh when I bought them last winter/spring. A couple of things. It's really hard to open the package to check the code without damaging it. Is there a trick to doing that in the store? Secondly, how old is too old?

Post Your Comment
8/17/14 @ 11:32 AM
fishin-jim
fishin-jim
MEMBER since 10/18/07
I was recently educated by my uncle on how to read the date code on berkley and stren spools of line. The code is listed in very small print directly below the diameter of the line. It is displayed in a 4 dash sequence. Example...C - 4 - 10 - 1 Date of MFG: March 4th, 2010 First shift The letter C represents the month it was manufactured. In this case March. The number 4 represents the day of the month it was made. The number 10 signifies the year in which it was manufactured. The last number signifies the shift in which it was produced. The last digit may be displayed as a 21 or 31 and we are assuming this is 2 shifts overlapping or something along those lines. This information came directly from calling the 1-800 number on berkleys website and was given by the rep that answered the phone. Start watching this before purchasing line. I was in the process of spooling reels after cleaning out (of stock) a local big name store today when I was enlightened on this info. I had purchased line dated back to June 2005. Not a single spool of line I had out of 7 spools was newer than 2009. Upon returning to the store to clarify this matter which of course the manager was unaware of, I noticed line of their shelves dated back to 2001!!!! I dont want to publicly bash the store as he said it was a mistake and the berkley rep will be called in to fix the matter. I will give a week or so and stop back in and see if the line has been removed or not. If not, the name will be revealed. 3/27/11 4:07 PM CST Josh Evje

Post Your Comment