Low gear ratio baitcaster

7/16/15 @ 12:56 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
For years I've used Zebco or Abu spincasters with a 3.6:1 gear ratio for casting light weight lures like small spinnerbaits or beatle spins. This ratio and these lures have just worked awesome over the years for just about all species, so I'm hooked on that gear ratio. (The problem I'm having is I'm wearing these things out too fast). I'd like to find a baitcaster with the same ratio (or close) and am not having much luck, other than a Lews model. Another complicating thought is this: will a baitcaster with a 3.6:1 gear ratio bring in the same amount line as a spincast with a 3.6:1 ratio? I'm almost thinking not since the spool diameter is different. I may have to do some experimenting home on this (I do own baitcasters big toothy critter fishing). Then I have to find the right rod to toss the light weight lures with a baitcaster.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
2/6/16 @ 9:19 AM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
I have cracked the code. I bought and Abu Orra Winch with 22" per turn retrieval. On the rod I have with 10# = powerpro, it casts awesome. I just need to fine tune the bake when it's warmer out. Next move is to put that reel on a stiffer rod and see what kind of distance I get.

On a kinda related note, the 22" per turn only brings in about 12", but the spool is half full, so I'm guessing with a full spool the rate will increase Interestingly, the zebco 33 I am trying to replace as spooled right now had a higher retrieval rate. The fish eagle baitcaster I tested the concept with has basically the same retrieval amount as the 33, another interesting finding.

Post Your Comment
1/23/16 @ 10:25 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Things seem to be working pretty well. Did some test casting today. I was tossing the lure around the year pretty well today with the old Cabela's fish eagle baitcaster with some heavy b braid on it with the soft tip med lite rod. I think this may work.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 8:17 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
1/8 oz won't load.....even with a medium light rod with a soft tip? The bait is a 1/8" jighead, 3" twister tail, and a beetle spin apparatus, so it's actually more than 1/8 oz. Maybe I'll up weight of the jighead. Thanks for the advice.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 8:08 PM
Scott F
Scott F
USER since 6/12/10
You will never be able to throw 1/8 oz lures with that baitcaster setup. They just won't load the rod enough to get the spool spinning. You won't be able to cast 10 feet. As far as braid vs mono, braid does float but it is not so buoyant that it will have any effect on keeping lures from running deep. A small bare hook will cause braided line to sink. As a matter of fact, because braid is so thin, it has less resistance in the water so lures run deeper than they do on comparable test mono.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 1:42 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
I did not give up on this since the July discussion and I have found a solution. I did research and I found out that the gear ratio is not as important as knowing what the inches per turn is - it's not a universally equal ratio (not all 7.1:1 ratios retrieve the same amount of line per turn for instance). The 3.6:1 zebco I like has a 19" per turn rate, and the Abu Garia Ora Winch has a 22" per turn (5.4:1), that is way close enough to make me happy. I got a medium lite rod with a soft tip to toss light lures for Christmas, so I think I am all set to throw lite lures (1/8 oz beetle spins) with a baitcaster. The only question left is to I use mono or braid? I use braid on all my baitcasters, but those are heavy duty fishing machines. On the old zebco I used 8# or 10# Trilene XT. Braid floats and with the slightly higher retrieval rate, I may end up too shallow, I think I'm going mono.

Post Your Comment
7/22/15 @ 10:01 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
Thanks for all the useful info and feedback. I could reel slower with a baitcaster, but when you've reeled at the same rate for 25 years change is a little tough. Sad So it sounds like a baitcaster just won't work for what I want it to do.

Post Your Comment
7/20/15 @ 11:09 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
go on ebay i have bought around 15 of the old good metal zebco 33s i love using them with the bait clicker trolling small crankbaits

Post Your Comment
7/18/15 @ 11:50 AM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
There is no such rod and reel for all conditions. Every rod has its purpose and will preform better when used for said purpose. I am lucky as I am on the LEW's Program and that allows me to have many choices of both rods and reels. But I still only use a few different rods and reels.

For anything under a quarter ounce I suggest a spinning rod and reel. For crappie fishing I like a light weight rod and reel for casting jigs but I like a medium rod 6 1/2 or 7 foot rod for shooting jigs under docks. Shooting docks is something that is tough to master but very rewarding when you learn it.

Everything over a quarter ounce becomes a baitcaster for me but my clients most of the time use spinning outfits. I have spinning rods and reels of many weights for them.

I like seven foot or longer rods for baitcasters so that you can throw the bait farther and it really helps on hook set as much as anything.

Reel speed I agree just slow down but I too like a slower retrive speed for certain things. It is harder to move a big crankbait with a fast retrieve reel. For some baits like a jig or a worm high speed is great. However you have to remember the reel is for storage of line only when fishing. You have to move the bait only with the rod to fish them properly.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
7/18/15 @ 10:30 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Get a small spinning reel,pflueger president the smallest one.Gear ratio 5.2 with its small spool it is SLOW,I use one on a rod that I made from a two weight fly rod blank.I use it for fishing very light jigs for panfish,the slower the retrieve the better.If that is not slow enough for you put less line on it, will still cast better than a spincasting reel.

Post Your Comment
7/18/15 @ 2:03 AM
skeeterbite
skeeterbite
USER since 4/12/14
Keep in mind baitcaster dont do well when trying to cast light lines or lures weights under 1/4 oz.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts