SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Line counter reels

2/25/18 @ 6:22 PM
INITIAL POST
onoudont
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/12

I have decided to break down this spring and buy line counter reels.

What is best reel for under $100?

Thank you in advance

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
3/11/18 @ 9:40 AM
onoudont

Update

After much research and talking with a few on here in pm I think I purchased the correct reels 

Im waiting for 3    Okuma Magda 15

I want to thank all of you for your guidance

3/11/18 @ 9:19 AM
blackbrd
User since 1/9/07

After buying a handful of okuma coldwaters 2 years ago, I will never again buy a diawa. Just sayin.

3/11/18 @ 8:46 AM
Beernuts
User since 3/21/07

If you're looking to spend that much per reel I wouldn't even touch an Okuma Magda. Had quite a few of them and had quite a few that went to junk really quick. Stick with either Okuma Convectors or Daiwa Accudepths. Way better reels. If I had my choice of the 2 I'd go with the convectors.

3/9/18 @ 11:36 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I am an Okuma guy.  The Magdas are a great entry level reel and actually will give you years of trouble free use.  The Cabelas Depthmasters are actually an Okuma branded as Cabelas brand.  I have 3 different models of Okuma's, I think I have 25 Line Counters in all, you can't go wrong with them.

2/27/18 @ 6:07 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
User since 8/7/15
I've got 36 of the Cabela's Depthmaster combos. The whole setup with the rod and reel is $69.99 when they're not on sale. I use the 20 series reels for walleye, and the 30 and 45 series for Lake Michigan. If you use braided line for a backing, even 10 colors of leadcore or 300 feet of copper will fit a 45 series reel. They hold up flawlessly even when a 20+ pound king tests them out.  I've had them for 4 seasons and the only casualty has been 1 broken downrigger rod. The drag is very sensitive but that's the only downfall. Once you're used to it it's not an issue.  As long as Okuma continues to make them, I'll keep buying them.
2/26/18 @ 8:47 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

@ onoudont-

Size 15 reel is what I have for walleyes/ cohos on boards. 20’s are a little big IMO for that purpose. I run 200 yds of 12# Trilene XT. I see no need for more capacity. 

Magda 15dx

2/26/18 @ 10:40 AM
Misdafew
User since 6/30/06

I have been using Okuma Magda Pro line counter reels on lake michigan and have not had any problems. They are less than $50 apeice on e-bay.  My nephew and I have bought 20 of these in the  last couple of years. We use size 30 and 45's for salmon/trout. I would recommend size 20 for walleyes, although 15 's would be fine. The size is based on line capacity. I also have diawa line counter reels  that are  25 years old and have never been serviced except for me oiling them. I think the most bang for your bucks are Okumas, which I feel are throw away reels if a problem arises.  Repair costs on a reel ($30+)  vs. < than $50 for a new one is the reason I say they are throw aways.

2/26/18 @ 10:05 AM
onoudont

@migr8

When you say size 15 what does that represent? I saw 15, 20, 30 , 45?

Size of the reel or line it will hold?

Im pulling boards on Koshkonong for walleyes. if that makes a difference

2/26/18 @ 9:42 AM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

Ditto with Big Shane, I also use all 3 mentioned and have not had any issues. (I troll 15- 20 times a year for the past 10 years)

2/26/18 @ 7:33 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I eased my way into trolling ~10 years ago and bought 4 Okuma Magda’s with the thought I’d upgrade at some point. Added 4 more soon after and still have all 8 with no issues with any of them. They certainly aren’t the best but for the price, they work good and have held up good. 

This place has the best price on those reels and if you’re looking for planer boards, I prefer the OffShore brand. They also have the best price on those that I’ve found. 

Northwoods Outlet

edit: I will add that my reels are the 15 size that I use for walleyes and cohos. They’ve each caught 100’s of fish but these aren’t fish that wear on reels with drag or stressful reeling. If I was fishing for bigger fish that would stress them more (like kings), I’d get Daiwas. 

2/25/18 @ 10:03 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have 8 Okuma Magda's on my boat.  None of them have failed me in the 5 years I've used them.  BIL has all Daiwas on his boat. No issues there either.  Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE