SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Landing Nets for Salmon and Trout

12/12/18 @ 12:00 PM
INITIAL POST
Kupti
User since 6/15/01

I need some opinions/recommendations on what kind of net to use for the above mentioned species. I Fly, Float and Spinner fish 'RIVERS', almost exclusively by myself … The problem I have is controlling the hoop when landing fish in stronger current … I use a 20" diam. bag with a depth approx. the same  … I've got the smaller 'coated' mesh but even this combined with the  water flow makes for a 'struggle' … SO … should I just start building up my arm strength and/or quit whining ?????     

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
12/23/18 @ 5:41 PM
Kupti
User since 6/15/01

'Verm.....', saw that net at Feather-Craft, still under consideration !!!! … ONE thing to tote rather than two … 'nihsif', I can do the 'hand tailing' with a glove … BUT … bare handed, I'm like a 'palsied pawed bear' … with Trout, it's more a P.I.T.A. putting the 'gauntlet' on and off than it is with the Salmon … AND … BigM12, looking further into the brand you mentioned … I've seen the product B/4 and I'll look deeper into their models …

A lighter frame with a larger mesh may be 'THE' option … ALSO … I may be a bit more 'heartless' with the Kings and Coho but with Steelhead and Browns, I try not to cause anymore damage than does occur … That's why I have been using the 'smaller' mesh ………………………..

Thanks for your answers … I appreciate ALL input !!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS … AND/OR … HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!!!!

Good luck on the water … Soft or Hard !!!!!!!!!!

12/12/18 @ 11:14 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

might try grabbing them by the tail, it's a pretty good handle... 

Just offering another option 

The whining comment cracked me up... catch some big'uns !

12/12/18 @ 12:22 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

Try a Netstaff... This might cure the problem, but they're not cheap. I would stab under the fish and scoop as not to hold the net so long... that current can make any net feel awful heavy, awful fast... good luck!

www.netstaffoutdoors.com/fish

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE