Hummingbird Helix 7si or 899si

4/12/16 @ 7:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishnagain
fishnagain
USER since 6/25/01
I am going to be getting a new locator/gps and I have it narrowed down to the Helix 7si or the 899si. Just looking for any suggestions on which one would be recommended. The price is about the same. This will be my first new unit in 20 years so any comments/advice would be much appreciated. I know the helix is the newer model, does it have better software, better transducer? Thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
5/15/16 @ 9:01 PM
Captain Andy Platko
Rough House
USER since 6/19/15

You cant go wrong with either one.  I run an 1198Si  which is 4-5 years old and im not planning on upgrading anytime soon. I love it.  It does everything you could ask for.  the 899 is exactly the same with a smaller screen.  The helix is just the new version with a slightly faster processor. 

Rough-House Charter
(724) 664-3136
Post Your Comment
4/25/16 @ 8:08 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
JJB what kind of hints you looking for? You looking for lovation hints or pointers? I've mounted many xducers, and I do not care for the new bird mounting brackets. I've broke more than one of them

Post Your Comment
4/12/16 @ 6:37 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
USER since 3/26/15
I used my helix 7si on my new boat today. I like it so far even though I didn't mess around with much on it. It was able to read even at 45mph so I was happy I didn't lose the screen.

Post Your Comment
4/12/16 @ 9:13 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
So true the 899's are on their way out, and as Brad said, faster processor. However if this is your first new unit in 20 years, I am gathering that you don't upgrade very often. If the prices is basically the same, you may want to go with the 899, it has a tad larger screen with basically the same functionality. Not sure about the xducer's but I believe they are the same. I can look I have both units at home. I bought the Helix 7 for ice fishing and purchased the ice xducer, so I have never looked at the standard xducer.

Post Your Comment
4/12/16 @ 8:07 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
I would go Helix 7 without question. It has a faster processor and is easier to see. The 899s are good units but on the way out as they were replaced by the Helix.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment