SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Humminbird398ci si

1/6/18 @ 12:26 PM
INITIAL POST
Trail76
User since 7/11/10

Hi all.  I haven't been on this board in a few years...its changed a bit!  

I'm looking at upgrading from my 12 year old Eagle locator.  Looking at the the Humminbird 398ci si.  I have a 16 ft tiller w/ a 30 hp...so my boat is relatively small.  I spend most of my time chasing smallies in Sturgeon Bay or Walleyes in Lake Winnebago.  Some river fishing on the Fox and Menominee too. 

I'm looking at this unit because it gives me side imaging on a budget.  I cannot spend much right now.  Questions....

1.  How important is side imaging for what I do?  I'm  hoping to detect boulders/ large rocks with the SI.  

2.  How big a deal will the small screen be?  Should I forgo the side imaging and get a better, larger unit?  

3.  Anyone have direct experience with this unit?  

Thanks, all.  Tight lines.  

Trail

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
1/16/18 @ 2:19 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Come on Jared, give him a break,not everyone can post as much as you and I

1/14/18 @ 1:51 PM
Trail76
User since 7/11/10

Thanks for the input.  Just picked up a Helix 7 w/ si.  

1/6/18 @ 5:14 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

7 and 1/2 years with 9 posts? Wow, not bad. 

I'd say use what you have and save your pennies (Believe me, I know). That is an awfully small screen. 

I had a 5" with DI - 17ft boat, liked it a lot. Had a problem with the boat and had to get it rewired.

Well, I ended up with a Helix 10 and 7 on the dash, and a 7 on the bow.

I use the 10 for SI/DI and the 7 for sonar/mapping on the dash.

SI/DI is very useful. At least for me. Pic is of a Loon diving for my musky bait.

I think it'd be worth waiting to get a bigger screen. Helix line is pretty solid.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE