SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Humminbird Solix

7/31/18 @ 7:23 PM
INITIAL POST
Jess0622
PRO MEMBER User since 10/21/16

I'm looking to up grade and purchase a much needed new marine electronics for my boat. I've been researching the Hummingbird Helix and Solix both.  I really like the touch features and ease of navigating around with the settings of the Solix, but also have read on Cabela's reviews that Hummingbird does not have all the bugs worked out to insure the units work as designed. Specifically, I have read that if you go into shallow water, that the screen gets fuzzy or locks up and when you return to deeper water, this does not clear up. If you mount the transducer on the trolling motor and pull up the motor, that the unit locks up and does not reset when you lower the trolling motor again.  Another angler was saying they had problems with the Solix screen when they accelerate there motor, but that this would stop when he put the Solix on a separate battery. And that the 14 gage wire to the battery was to weak for the 12 foot distance and someone would need to upgrade to 10 gage wire. 

With all this I have also read people say great things about their Solix. 

I think if the Solix unit really works as described in the advertisement I'm all in on this one, but I don't wish to be the fool who spent $2,800 on a non usable boat ornament.  

So I was hoping to hear from others who have this unit and really know, or if you have fished with a friend who does, did it work properly, or were there tweaks that can or should be done to help it work properly. Is it necessary to install the Solix on a separate battery? Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks

Jesse

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
9/11/18 @ 11:41 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Jess0622, what way did you end up going?

8/20/18 @ 11:24 AM
Jess0622
PRO MEMBER User since 10/21/16

Thanks Tim, I have a friend who also runs the new Helix 10's and he likes them also. Maybe there are a few more buttons to push to navigate the screens, but his Helix works great, never had to tweak the install and the money saved is significant.  

Guess I'm still on the fence. 

8/20/18 @ 9:10 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

The Onyx's were the predecessor's to the Solix.  I had two 10's.  Mine were the non touch units which I purchased that way to save I think it was about $500 for each unit, it could have been a little less.  To me the menus were difficult to navigate.  They had good views but the menus just didn't click with me.  I sold the units and now I run 3 Helix 10's Mega's.  Much easier to navigate and I think the views are about as good as the Solix's.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE