How often do you replace your fishing line?

3/6/18 @ 3:22 PM
ORIGINAL POST
RandyPrice
RandyPrice
USER since 9/25/17

I have a few reels that the line (Berkley Nanofil) is several years old.  How often do you guys replace your line?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts
8/20/18 @ 3:03 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I mostly use braid now so I don't change it all that often.  I use fluorocarbon leaders and those I change more often, but we are talking a few feet of line.  Can't say I ever really broke the braid off before, pretty much always the fluoro, so I don't have much of a reason to change the line on the reels.  I tend to use heavier braid on the reels and lighter leaders.  I do have some that looks old though, I may change that just to be safe.  But I bet it was on there for 8 years.  I even use braid for my slip bobbers, with a fluoro leader as well.  Up front cost is more but less maintenance.

Post Your Comment
8/20/18 @ 2:34 PM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06

I think its more important to cut off about 5-10 feet of line every so often. That the line that takes a beating. I also watch my line carefully when using certain setups, such as a bottom bouncer.

Post Your Comment
8/16/18 @ 1:28 PM
Carp King
Carp King
USER since 8/7/01

I replace the mono line on my most used reels every spring and when the line gets low once again about july/august.  The braided line on my catfishing reels i replace whenever it gets low maybe every 3-4 years.  I keep my partial spools for leader material so i don't have to cut much off the spool in a season.

Post Your Comment
5/26/18 @ 10:12 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

A wise man once asked me if the hassle of respooling your line every year was worth not losing the fish of a lifetime. Since then, I re-spool more often than likely needed. Because why not?

I ice fish every weekend of the season and change my line usually twice in a season. I open water fish about 3 times a year and still change my line every year. Someday I'll catch that fish of a lifetime.

Post Your Comment
5/25/18 @ 9:35 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

You will know.  It either breaks or gets kinked and is difficult to use.

Do NOT necessarily change at intervals recommended here.  Some of these guys fish every day, some once/week, others 5 times/year.

I have some power pro on a spinning reel that's close to 10 years old and it works just fine.  I have mono on several reels that's 8 years old and it does just fine (large trolling rigs).

All depends on usage, and ultimately, usability.

Post Your Comment
5/16/18 @ 11:57 PM
h2ofowlmedic
h2ofowlmedic
USER since 9/7/08

Pimplyswede, I fish 2-3x per week.

Post Your Comment
5/15/18 @ 2:42 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

Mono: Whenever the spool gets below and 1\8th" or so on spinning rods. I pull off about 10' several times a day and retie. Fresh mono fishes so much better. I'll go through ~1000 yards on my trolling rods in a season.

Braid: I can get 2 to 3 years out of it. More on the 65 to 80lb stuff. I turn it around on the spool when it shows wear.

Keep it all out of the sun when not in use. I guess my point is I changer my line as often as needed as opposed to trying make it last. I don't fill my spools with the line I fish with either. Always use a generous amount of cheap backing.

Post Your Comment
5/15/18 @ 1:16 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

I fish open water 40-50 times a year. I use Trilene Big Game ten pound test. I can fill all our rods for $8.

Post Your Comment
5/15/18 @ 12:18 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Monofilament often, depends on how often you are fishing, but at a minimum once  a year.  Braids can go longer.

Post Your Comment
5/15/18 @ 8:00 AM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
I have reels that have the same Fireline from 10 years ago.  Each spring I just pull 3-5 yards of worn line off and re-tie.

I also have reels that have mono anywhere from 2 to 10 years old.  When I tie a new knot and it busts, I grab a different rod, and replace line later on the one that busted.

Perhaps if I fished every day things might be different, but the rising cost of everything has me being frugal.  I can't remember the last time my line broke and it wasn't because of sharp teeth.

Those of you who replace 2x/year - how often do you fish?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 29 Posts